How many times per day should an adult cat on raw food pee?

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there guys!

I’ve been feeding my cats raw food since June ‘22. They eat home cooked raw food (already full of moisture + mixed with additional water) and then I add water to their bowls every time they eat to make it soupy and be sure they get all the moisture they need. That’s why my cats don’t drink from their water bowls at all. They receive plenty of water from their food.

But I don’t know how many times they should pee now!

My cats have litter boxes, of course, but they don’t actually use them very often, because I allow them outside in our garden, so they pee and poo there or somewhere else in the yard. So I can’t actually control it

The problem there is that one of my cats, Simba, beautiful almost 6 year old neutered boy had his glucose levels elevated when we saw the vet last time. It was 13.9 mmol/l or ~250 mg/dl. Like, it’s high but not high enough to be sure it’s diabetes right away. Our vet recommended to do urinalysis and check for the symptoms of the illness — increased water intake, increased urination, weight loss and always being hungry. None of this were noticed. I’m still struggling to collect his urine and actually get urinalysis but I hope I will be able to collect it soon enough. But for now I don’t know what is going on there. If there any glucose in his urine, he is for sure diabetic. If it’s not, glucose was elevated due to stress then

Because I can’t know if he has glucose in his urine or not for now, I’m trying to watch him closely for any even minor signs

I know for sure that he was peeing once in 24 hours last spring. I know it cause we run away to Poland because of full scale russian invasion in Ukraine where I live. So I was pretty depressed back then and was watching my kitties extra and also walked them on a leash so I saw everything what was going on with their toilet habits. But he was eating dry food at that time. So it explains why he peed only once every 24 hours

Now we’re home and safe (for now) and I always control their time outside here. I allow them outside 3-4 times a day every time for like 20 minutes or smth. And I think he pees 2-3 times in 24 hours. But I don’t know it for sure. Simba definitely doesn’t pee inside, so it always happens when he has his little outside times. I think I’m pretty sure he doesn’t pee more than 3 times in 24 hours. But I don’t really know it. Is that normal or too many? I’m just anxious and worried. I personally think that this may be normal, considering his high moisture diet but Idk for sure

Your thoughts will be much appreciated! Hope that you’re doing fine :hearthrob:

Here’s a photo of my boy, peacefully sleeping right next to me on my own pillow!!

Have a great day :sunshine:

Attachments

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many times a day that Desmond my raw-fed cat urinates a day (and, like you, I also add additional moisture to the already moisture-rich food), but I never cease to be amazed just how much urine (and how little stool) he produces.

He's mostly an indoor cat, but I do take him out on a harness with a leash sometimes, but mostly he's using his litter box.

Wishing Simba good news. Glad to know you've been able to return home. We are with you.

Slava Ukraini!

Bill

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Simba is beautiful and you have taken wonderful care of your cats in what was an incredibly hard time for all of you.

Simba will only pee outside? Can he be tricked into using a litterbox or other receptacle outside? This would mean one which was very clean but did not contain litter. I don't know if you have the availability to find the kind of non-absorbable litter that is used for collection of specimens. It is called Kit4Cat Hydrophobic Litter. If Simba will use a litterbox at any time, plastic beads like those from packaging will work as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T4NUOQ/?tag=thecatsite

I have had cats whose glucose spiked at the vet's office who were not, in the end, diabetic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simba is beautiful and you have taken wonderful care of your cats in what was an incredibly hard time for all of you.

Simba will only pee outside? Can he be tricked into using a litterbox or other receptacle outside? This would mean one which was very clean but did not contain litter. I don't know if you have the availability to find the kind of non-absorbable litter that is used for collection of specimens. It is called Kit4Cat Hydrophobic Litter. If Simba will use a litterbox at any time, plastic beads like those from packaging will work as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T4NUOQ/?tag=thecatsite

I have had cats whose glucose spiked at the vet's office who were not, in the end, diabetic.
I tried to trick him inside, but I’ve never thought about doing that exact thing outside. I will try, thank you for the wonderful idea!

Maybe you can also share your experience about how many should a cat urinate? 😅 Especially with cats on a raw diet

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you could get that specific test litter and put it outside, I wonder if he would pee on it. You might have to put something under it so that dirt did not mix into it, but I have the impression that it allows the urine to sit on top so that you can use the pipette to get it.

I don't feed raw, so can't speak to that; however, one of my indoor cats who was a rescue from a difficult situation will only pee using a litter box with a doggy pee pad in it, so I am absolutely sure how many times a day she goes, especially as she won't reuse a pad. She goes 3 times per day, which is what I suspect for the others who use litter.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you could get that specific test litter and put it outside, I wonder if he would pee on it. You might have to put something under it so that dirt did not mix into it, but I have the impression that it allows the urine to sit on top so that you can use the pipette to get it.

I don't feed raw, so can't speak to that; however, one of my indoor cats who was a rescue from a difficult situation will only pee using a litter box with a doggy pee pad in it, so I am absolutely sure how many times a day she goes, especially as she won't reuse a pad. She goes 3 times per day, which is what I suspect for the others who use litter.
Thank you! I will try to do this. Your suggestions are very helpful. And also thank you for sharing about your kitty toilet habits here :hearthrob:

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many times a day that Desmond my raw-fed cat urinates a day (and, like you, I also add additional moisture to the already moisture-rich food), but I never cease to be amazed just how much urine (and how little stool) he produces.

He's mostly an indoor cat, but I do take him out on a harness with a leash sometimes, but mostly he's using his litter box.

Wishing Simba good news. Glad to know you've been able to return home. We are with you.

Slava Ukraini!

Bill
Thank you for your support and kind words. This means a lot to me as a cat lover and as a Ukrainian :redheartpump:

I think we are a little bit far from a good news, because for that I need to trick this lil guy to pee for his urinalysis and he is being naughty about it! I wake up every morning at 6 am so I can go outside with him and collect his urine, but he manages to run away from me every time! It’s been a week now and I’m very exhausted. I mean, I can understand his desire to pee in silence and without me bothering him, but c’mon!

I had successfully collected urine from my other cats with the first try using free flow method, they didn’t mind it at all. But Simba seems to mind too much, so I might need to change my tactics. Hopefully, I will be able to bring his urine sample to the lab very soon

Do you think Desmond urinates somewhere between 2-3 times per 24 hours or more? I think Simba might be urinating 3-4 times per 24 hours now, but I still don’t know the exact number

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feed raw and my guys normally urinate twice in a 24 hour period. I also add extra water to their food. There are times when they only pee once in that period of time though, which puts me on guard, but then the next day there will be extra, so it's probably just the time of day when I clean out the boxes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
that normal or too many? I’m just anxious and worried. I personally think that this may be normal, considering his high moisture diet but Idk for sure
My angel Poppycat was on raw for a short period of time, and as mentioned, his poop decreased but his urine output seemed the same. He visited his litterbox to pee three times, sometimes four if I recall correctly.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your support and kind words. This means a lot to me as a cat lover and as a Ukrainian :redheartpump:

I think we are a little bit far from a good news, because for that I need to trick this lil guy to pee for his urinalysis and he is being naughty about it! I wake up every morning at 6 am so I can go outside with him and collect his urine, but he manages to run away from me every time! It’s been a week now and I’m very exhausted. I mean, I can understand his desire to pee in silence and without me bothering him, but c’mon!

I had successfully collected urine from my other cats with the first try using free flow method, they didn’t mind it at all. But Simba seems to mind too much, so I might need to change my tactics. Hopefully, I will be able to bring his urine sample to the lab very soon

Do you think Desmond urinates somewhere between 2-3 times per 24 hours or more? I think Simba might be urinating 3-4 times per 24 hours now, but I still don’t know the exact number
I will attempt to more closely monitor his habits. I must admit that I have no idea. He does tend to be stealthful.

As a side note, I've been following the conflict closely from even before the tanks rolled in, and my university studies were in international relations (with an emphasis in Soviet and Middle East politics).

But what really got to me were the videos of Ukrainian soldiers taking moments of kindness to play with and comfort cats and then seeing all the feeding stations what were set up to feed dislocated dogs and cats in cities under siege during the initial stages of this war of agression. Seeing those images convinced me that "these are a people who can not be defeated."

One of my prized possessions is a little blue and yellow lapel ribbon with the Ukrainian trident hand stitched into it that was given to me by a woman in a local market in the early days of the invasion.

I had approached her to offer words of support (as she was wearing similar ribbons from her hair). I'm a large and imposing person and I sensed she was a little bit afraid of my approach at first, and I don't think that she spoke much English. So I stopped and said "Slava Ukraini!" I saw her knees almost buckle and a sense of relief pass over her.

As I turned and walked away she rushed over to me, reached into her bag, and pulled out the lapel ribbon. With her limited English, I understood that she sewed this ribbon herself.

It sits on the corner of my computer screen so I can see it every day, and I wear it at public events as a show of solidarity.

All my best wishes,

Bill

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will attempt to more closely monitor his habits. I must admit that I have no idea. He does tend to be stealthful.

As a side note, I've been following the conflict closely from even before the tanks rolled in, and my university studies were in international relations (with an emphasis in Soviet and Middle East politics).

But what really got to me were the videos of Ukrainian soldiers taking moments of kindness to play with and comfort cats and then seeing all the feeding stations what were set up to feed dislocated dogs and cats in cities under siege during the initial stages of this war of agression. Seeing those images convinced me that "these are a people who can not be defeated."

One of my prized possessions is a little blue and yellow lapel ribbon with the Ukrainian trident hand stitched into it that was given to me by a woman in a local market in the early days of the invasion.

I had approached her to offer words of support (as she was wearing similar ribbons from her hair). I'm a large and imposing person and I sensed she was a little bit afraid of my approach at first, and I don't think that she spoke much English. So I stopped and said "Slava Ukraini!" I saw her knees almost buckle and a sense of relief pass over her.

As I turned and walked away she rushed over to me, reached into her bag, and pulled out the lapel ribbon. With her limited English, I understood that she sewed this ribbon herself.

It sits on the corner of my computer screen so I can see it every day, and I wear it at public events as a show of solidarity.

All my best wishes,

Bill
Thank you so much for saying all of this. It got me crying really hard, because my heart aches and bleeds every day for my country. And feeling supported by someone who is far far away is really strong and warm feeling. You must be such a beautiful person yourself! :hearthrob:

My beloved friend was killed by russians while defending our country, he was only 19 years old. Even younger than me. We knew nothing about him for three months, until they found what was left from his body and ran a DNA test which was a match with his mother. I went for his funeral feeling as devastated as possible. There is not even a day I’m not thinking about him. Especially about this one photo. This is him with a random kitty cat right before he was sent to the frontline. I still can’t believe I will never see that precious smile and never talk to him. He was such a beautiful person, I feel so honoured just knowing he was my friend.

I’m sorry, I must’ve been over shared. Just thought about him right away when you wrote about Ukrainian soldiers and their little moments with cats. So many lives were taken too soon. Just because millions of maniacs couldn’t live in their own country without committing genocides over and over again.

Attachments

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed raw and my guys normally urinate twice in a 24 hour period. I also add extra water to their food. There are times when they only pee once in that period of time though, which puts me on guard, but then the next day there will be extra, so it's probably just the time of day when I clean out the boxes.
Thank you for sharing! It means a lot :hugs:

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My angel Poppycat was on raw for a short period of time, and as mentioned, his poop decreased but his urine output seemed the same. He visited his litterbox to pee three times, sometimes four if I recall correctly.
Thank you for sharing it with me! I think Simba might also be urinating 3 to 4 times per day

I’m sure Poppycat was wonderful kitty and I’m sorry for your loss. He is and will always be with you in your heart and the warmest memories! Keep talking about him, till you meet again up there :angel:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for saying all of this. It got me crying really hard, because my heart aches and bleeds every day for my country. And feeling supported by someone who is far far away is really strong and warm feeling. You must be such a beautiful person yourself! :hearthrob:

My beloved friend was killed by russians while defending our country, he was only 19 years old. Even younger than me. We knew nothing about him for three months, until they found what was left from his body and ran a DNA test which was a match with his mother. I went for his funeral feeling as devastated as possible. There is not even a day I’m not thinking about him. Especially about this one photo. This is him with a random kitty cat right before he was sent to the frontline. I still can’t believe I will never see that precious smile and never talk to him. He was such a beautiful person, I feel so honoured just knowing he was my friend.

I’m sorry, I must’ve been over shared. Just thought about him right away when you wrote about Ukrainian soldiers and their little moments with cats. So many lives were taken too soon. Just because millions of maniacs couldn’t live in their own country without committing genocides over and over again.
Now I'm in tears. I am truly sorry to know of the loss of your friend. The sacrifices of the Ukrainian people are making is staggering and somehow seeing the image of one person who has been lost hits home even harder than knowing of all the losses in the abstract. Your friend was really beautiful. Choking back the tears.

It is a crazy world. It seems far too incomplete to say it, but I'm with you from every corner of my heart and soul.

Thank you for sharing.

Bill

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your friend was a beautiful person and the picture of him with the cat is both touching and heartbreaking. I hope that you and your family will be able to remain safe. :hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like the others have said so well, I am glad you are safe and I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your friend. Seeing photos of those lost really makes it feel much more real than reading a number. :hugs:
I want to be sure I understood correctly. You said you feed your cats "home cooked raw food", I take this to mean that you prepare it at home, but serve it all raw? Or are portions of it seared or gently cooked? What ratios of meat, bone, and organs are you giving them and are their stools normal?
I have 3 cats in my home who are raw fed. Two of them (related) do not do very well on any commercial food I have tried, dry especially (they can tolerate wet food occasionally but as a diet, it doesn't go well.) I have 4 cats at work who are half kibble/wet, half raw fed. The four cats at work definitely produce more #2's, but the house cats seem to pee more, but not frequently (2-3 times a day, if I were to guess). The litter clumps are larger.
An idea: Could you fill a litter box up with dirt from outside and keep it in a single room, and put him in there in the morning instead of taking him outside? He might just prefer dirt to any type of litter, and this way you wouldn't have to try to follow him all over in order to get a sample.
Hope this is helpful! :heartshape:

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I'm in tears. I am truly sorry to know of the loss of your friend. The sacrifices of the Ukrainian people are making is staggering and somehow seeing the image of one person who has been lost hits home even harder than knowing of all the losses in the abstract. Your friend was really beautiful. Choking back the tears.

It is a crazy world. It seems far too incomplete to say it, but I'm with you from every corner of my heart and soul.

Thank you for sharing.

Bill
Thank you. I love to imagine that he is smiling up there, thinking something like “wow she is talking about me even on those cat forums” x

I remembered how he called me on Simba’s birthday and asked to put him on the phone. Than he talked to him, wishing him so many things so seriously that I almost forgot this was my friend talking to my cat. He was so pure. I will always miss him and always be grateful and honoured because I was so lucky to met him. I just wish he could’ve been here for longer.

Sending you all the love. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness and time :hearthrob: :hugs:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Ipappy has a terrific idea!

I’m sure Poppycat was wonderful kitty and I’m sorry for your loss. He is and will always be with you in your heart and the warmest memories! Keep talking about him, till you meet again up there
He was an amazing soul, he truly was. Thank you for thinking of him :redheartpump:

These are for you because you have such a wonderful warm heart.
The black cat is my Poppy, the orange cat is our new kitty, Captain Jack, who has helped us tremendously. IMG_20180313_162255849.jpg
IMG_20230121_125213926 (2).jpg

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like the others have said so well, I am glad you are safe and I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your friend. Seeing photos of those lost really makes it feel much more real than reading a number. :hugs:
I want to be sure I understood correctly. You said you feed your cats "home cooked raw food", I take this to mean that you prepare it at home, but serve it all raw? Or are portions of it seared or gently cooked? What ratios of meat, bone, and organs are you giving them and are their stools normal?
I have 3 cats in my home who are raw fed. Two of them (related) do not do very well on any commercial food I have tried, dry especially (they can tolerate wet food occasionally but as a diet, it doesn't go well.) I have 4 cats at work who are half kibble/wet, half raw fed. The four cats at work definitely produce more #2's, but the house cats seem to pee more, but not frequently (2-3 times a day, if I were to guess). The litter clumps are larger.
An idea: Could you fill a litter box up with dirt from outside and keep it in a single room, and put him in there in the morning instead of taking him outside? He might just prefer dirt to any type of litter, and this way you wouldn't have to try to follow him all over in order to get a sample.
Hope this is helpful! :heartshape:
Yes. We tend to forget that those numbers are never just the numbers. Every number is someone’s life. Someone who was murdered. Someone who just wanted to live their life in peace in their own country. Someone’s son, daughter, wife or husband, sister or brother, mother or father. Someone real. Someone who will never be with us ever again. Someone who could’ve done so many amazing things and live happy and long life. But it will never happen. Because russians took it away from so many people.

No, i didn’t cook their food at all. It’s all raw. I just prepare it at home using complete recipes from catinfo.org, feline-nutrition.org and catnutrition.org. I rotate those recipes because I don’t really know if they are balanced correctly, rotating helps to fulfill some nutritional gaps if there are any. In Ukraine we don’t have any commercial raw diets that you can buy in pet store, feeding four cats wet foods is too pricey and I find it not practical at all. So I prepare food for them myself. I store it in the containers in my freezer and then serve it for them. I actually weigh their portions, add some toppers, poor a little bit of water and mix it, add some veggies purée in the mornings and quail eggs in the evenings. Then they are good to go. Theirs stools are all good. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not always able to observe their toilet habits because they are allowed outside, but I try to do that once in a while to be sure everything is okay.

I will try to put some dirt in his litter box again, thank you! I’ve tried to do such thing some time ago, it didn’t go well. He knows what is a litter box but just doesn’t used to it so well. So he prefers to pee and poop outside. But I’m not giving up and will try everything :coolcat: