How Many Times Per Day Does 6-mo-old Kitten Need To Eat?

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marbles has been, til now, eating wet food 3x/day (3/4 can) and 1/8-1/4 cup tops of dry food free-fed over 24 Hrs.

For the past two days she's been refusing her 3 pm wet feeding. She ate some dry food in the evening yesterday, then ate her normal 9-10pm wet food (though she is being a PAIN about all her food often, and I had to put baby food on it to get her to eat it).

Today she ate a normal breakfast at 7am, but hasn't eaten anything since and it's almost 12 hrs later. She doesn't even want baby food, which she loves. ???

She's acting normal and active, and having normal bowel movements...

She was spayed two weeks ago- I've read that can affect their food needs but isn't that because of less activity? She's not been less active.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Re: my first paragraph- that's 3/4 can pet feeding, not for the whole day)

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Oops duplicate, sorry)

Traluvscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Marbles has been, til now, eating wet food 3x/day (3/4 can) and 1/8-1/4 cup tops of dry food free-fed over 24 Hrs.

For the past two days she's been refusing her 3 pm wet feeding. She ate some dry food in the evening yesterday, then ate her normal 9-10pm wet food (though she is being a PAIN about all her food often, and I had to put baby food on it to get her to eat it).

Today she ate a normal breakfast at 7am, but hasn't eaten anything since and it's almost 12 hrs later. She doesn't even want baby food, which she loves. ???

She's acting normal and active, and having normal bowel movements...

She was spayed two weeks ago- I've read that can affect their food needs but isn't that because of less activity? She's not been less active.

Traluvscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im concerned at the change in her desire to eat. I have a kitten 3 mos old who eats 4-6 x daily. She luvs to eat! But i realize some are finicky eaters. However, to go that long without desiring to eat concerns me. Id follow up with vet, since its close to her spay surgery. Better safe than sorry! Hope she is ok!

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine it's from her surgery... she was spayed 4/17, and had a recheck 4/22 and was healing fine. Her incision has not been tender since even before 4/22, and looks well-healed, and she's been normally active since day 4 or so after surgery...

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WELL. I finally realized I have some Science Diet Kitten chicken food left- which I usually never buy, but had bought a few cans for after her surgery because it's her favorite.

She meowed for it and is gobbling it up.

Apparently she's just being a pickypuss!! Ugh, she is the pickiest kitten ever... sigh.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 month old boy who does this on occasion. He decides he doesn't want the particular flavor I've set down for him and will ignore it until I give him the flavor he wants! Also he's started to pick at the food in his bowl until I put the bowl in my lap and then he will happily eat from it. :lol: Weirdo cats, I tell ya.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Farrell will be 7 months tomorrow and, day-to-day, her appetite is all over the map. She doesn't get any kibble, so her servant (me) carries her several plates of food on days when her highness only nibbles...sometimes 5 meals a day. Other days she is ravenous and only eats 3 meals.

Her appetite did drop off for two weeks right after she turned 6 months old. I think that a kitten's fastest growth occurs during the first 6 months, so that makes sense.

Here is the food chart I've been keeping on Farrell (date, her Sunday weight, average oz of food per day she ate the previous week):

Farrell Weight Ounces Food
03/05/17
5.75 6.01
03/12/17
6.19 6.20
03/19/17
6.44 6.46
03/26/17
6.75 6.50
04/02/17
6.97 6.51
04/09/17