How Many Times Out to The Garage? LOL

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chinny Chin Chin is terrified in the house, especially with the new dog here. She stays outside, the garage is heated in winter. Her friend Joey, who gets bladder infections from stress if he has to stay in the house, is out with Chinny during the day. Joe is now on SO food but he is miserable inside and he is Chinny's friend so he goes out.

So, Chinny was being fed twice a day but research on dogs shows once a day is probably better, plus all my childhood outside dog and cat pets were fed once a day and were fine so I thought, why am I trudging outside in the cold, dark winter mornings? Why not just feed Chinny more food at supper? And supper is when Joe comes in. So I started doing that several months ago BUT -

When Joe went on the SO food I thought, what if Chinny is not eating all hers and Joe is going into the garage in the morning when he gets out, and finishing hers? So I started checking the garage each morning and sure as heck, Chinny is not eating all her food. The dish would be empty when I refilled it each supper time but usually had food in it each morning. How long Joe had been eating food Chinny did not finish I have no idea, he wasn't getting fatter and fatter.

Yup, you got it, I am back to trudging out to the garage in the morning after all just to make sure Chinny ate all her supper food and Joe doesn't get it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
The things we do for our kitties. We brought a new kitty home from the SPCA a few months ago. Our resident cat would eat a few bites of his own breakfast and then go over to new kitty's bowl just to show who's boss, I guess. I started staying out in the kitchen as new kitty's bodyguard while she ate so resident cat wouldn't steal her food. :rolleyes: Now they're used to each other and it isn't a problem any more, thankfully.

Have fun with those garage trips. :lol2:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have RIFD/chip feeders so only a certain cat can eat their own food. They're pricey and aren't without some issues, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's always hard when one pet has to be in a specific diet and the other doesn't!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm, hadn't heard of those. I will look into. I didn't say but I am feeding another male cat, Joey's inside friend, the SO food as well. Andy doesn't need it but he likes it and he and Joe share a shut door bedroom at meal times.