TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to make sure my cat is drinking normally

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends. Are they eating wet food or dry? Very active or not so active? Is it hot where you are? Are they long-haird or short haired?

Generally, a cat drinking water every now and then isn't abnormal. If they spend a lot of time just slurping up water, like they just can't get enough, then that can be indicative of issues.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 8 lbs fur pig eats 8 oz a day of wet food that's 78% moisture. That's 6.2 oz of moisture. According to this site below, she should get 3.5 to 4.5 oz per 5 lbs of body weight or 5.6 oz to 7.2 oz. She's in her golden years--not very active. I've never done this exercise before but this is reassuring. Because the only time I ever see her drinking is after she's vomited. Apparently she's got this moisture thing down and I'll stop worrying that she never uses the fountain I bought her or the bowls of water I set on the ground.

My Cat Won’t Drink: How Much Water Cats Need & Dehydration Prevention

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are so many variables so there isn't any recommended amount of times a day a cat should drink or even how much water a cat should drink (no "eight 8 oz glasses of water" like for people). The type of food (dry or wet), your local weather (tropics? arid?), the cat's own individual need for water, etc.

Just know what is normal for your cat and if something seems off, give the vet a call :) Camped out by the water bowl just drinking non stop and maybe even with a urine output to match indicates a medical issue that will need a vet to diagnose and treat.

Adding extra water to wet food can help with hydration. A tablespoon or so is plenty but some cats may not tolerate that much so adjust as needed. A pet water fountain may encourage some cats to drink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends. Are they eating wet food or dry? Very active or not so active? Is it hot where you are? Are they long-haird or short haired?

Generally, a cat drinking water every now and then isn't abnormal. If they spend a lot of time just slurping up water, like they just can't get enough, then that can be indicative of issues.
yes they eat wet food royal canin mix with dry he is one year old he drank water 4 times today i think not sure ..it is hot but i have ac but i turn it off sometimes he is not really playful but yeah active not like my other cats lazy a little bit more active then them

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish eats three wet meals and one dry a day. I add a good bit of water to the wet meals, all of which she eats/drinks. I give her fresh water twice a day, which I NEVER see her drink. When I got her three years ago she was on dry food and she did drink at that time. Since I switched to wet she doesn't drink at all. I figure that since she used to drink and now does not she probably has it under control. She pees plenty and is healthy and active. I went to a talk by a Weruva rep once and she explained that cat's tongues aren't really ideal for drinking and they generally get their moisture from food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I believe the reason why Krista's kidneys are in good shape at 15 years young is because she takes frequent wet meals. As difficult as her current feeding schedule is on me (six times a day until she's regained weight and portion sizes from earlier this year), it's probably wonderful for kidneys to keep fresh moisture from food running through her regularly instead of a couple food bombs a day.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My crew loves their water and stops to drink all the time; we have indoor and outdoor fountains for them. I get yelled at if I don't keep their side table dish filled at all time too. As others said, it varies by cat and area so what is normal for your cat is likely right for them. If you are worried about dehydration, you can pinch the skin between their shoulder blades and see how long it takes for the skin to go down. If it goes down immediately, they are good. If you can count a few seconds, look into adding moisture to their diet and fountains around the house. If you can count to five, see your vet because your cat might need a fluid IV to help regain their moisture.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read that on average they need about a cup of water a day, though that amount decreases a lot if you provide wet food. My girl has been absolutely refusing to eat wet food for the past couple months, and I'd say she drinks between 3/4 cup to 1 cup out of her bowls. I notice she visits the bowls more the more often I change them out, and she's been drinking more since I added additional water bowls around the house. If your cats eat plenty of wet food it's not a big deal that they don't drink often, especially if you add extra water to their wet meals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ailish eats three wet meals and one dry a day. I add a good bit of water to the wet meals, all of which she eats/drinks. I give her fresh water twice a day, which I NEVER see her drink. When I got her three years ago she was on dry food and she did drink at that time. Since I switched to wet she doesn't drink at all. I figure that since she used to drink and now does not she probably has it under control. She pees plenty and is healthy and active. I went to a talk by a Weruva rep once and she explained that cat's tongues aren't really ideal for drinking and they generally get their moisture from food.
Honestly, I believe the reason why Krista's kidneys are in good shape at 15 years young is because she takes frequent wet meals. As difficult as her current feeding schedule is on me (six times a day until she's regained weight and portion sizes from earlier this year), it's probably wonderful for kidneys to keep fresh moisture from food running through her regularly instead of a couple food bombs a day.
My crew loves their water and stops to drink all the time; we have indoor and outdoor fountains for them. I get yelled at if I don't keep their side table dish filled at all time too. As others said, it varies by cat and area so what is normal for your cat is likely right for them. If you are worried about dehydration, you can pinch the skin between their shoulder blades and see how long it takes for the skin to go down. If it goes down immediately, they are good. If you can count a few seconds, look into adding moisture to their diet and fountains around the house. If you can count to five, see your vet because your cat might need a fluid IV to help regain their moisture.
I've read that on average they need about a cup of water a day, though that amount decreases a lot if you provide wet food. My girl has been absolutely refusing to eat wet food for the past couple months, and I'd say she drinks between 3/4 cup to 1 cup out of her bowls. I notice she visits the bowls more the more often I change them out, and she's been drinking more since I added additional water bowls around the house. If your cats eat plenty of wet food it's not a big deal that they don't drink often, especially if you add extra water to their wet meals.

Thank u everyone for the reply i took my baby to vet i got xray also of kidney and bladder my vet told me he is healthy thanks god and it’s normal drinking water