How many times do cats usually go poop a day?

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats who have the Young Again Zero Mature Health fed free choice 24/7. I use fancy feast classic as a treat and head count twice a day. One 3oz can lasts 2 days for my three cats. As you can see i use the wet as a treat.

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 7 month old kitten James is like clockwork, poops once a day after I get home from work and feed him. He probably waits for me as he knows I will clean it immediately.  He eats kitten dry food (always available) and I feed him weruva twice daily (all life stages low calorie) and he gets lots of greenies treats 

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems to be a subject everyone likes to share about....so I'll do mine - I agree with those that suggest that amount is not normal and especially along with the liquid part. My cats have had issues on and off through their life and I looked it up online once. There were good descriptions and pictures about what healthy cat poo should look like. That being said they are like people in that everyone is a little different. Right now I have 3 cats and everyone eats the same thing, FF canned wet food,(sometimes the type that has "greens" in it), very little limited ingredient dry (made with green pea) used as a topper for the wet. One cat goes very regularly once a day, the other borders on constipation. However she can't have any dry because of dental issues. The other cat is a feral so I don't know what she does. I had a cat once who out of the blue used to get diarrhea once in a while without any change in diet. I've had cats over the years that developed a lot of digestive issues. It always bothers me to think about them (all passed on) because I can't help but think it happened due to what I fed them in some way. I've read a lot about pet foods trying to decide what the right thing to feed them is and end up just feeling powerless because they refuse to eat what is really better for them. Have to start them out as kittens on good food because changing in old age is nearly impossible. I'm just glad they eat very, very little dry. One book I read was "Food Pets Die For". If nothing else it really gets you thinking about what's going on in the pet food industry.

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot of this vet's videos on the internet before, and have tried very hard to get my cats to eat better quality food. However, with very little success. It is so frustrating. The best part is I have gotten them off dry food almost entirely. I put about 10 kibbles on top of their food for the little crunch they seem to like, but that's it. There is an article in this site somewhere where they had an "expert nutrition vet" discuss with a question / answer session. She really didn't hit on any information like this at all and wasn't very willing to really discuss it. Her advice was simply to "give the cat whatever it would eat". Over the top simplistic - I was hoping for more hints or advice on ways to get cats to change to the better quality food and all I got was a lecture about how you can't let a stubborn cat go without food - I would never do that. But...anyway good video, thanks for sharing.

hopeformyferal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope it helps! I bought my cats Tiki cat food because it is human grade. They do not like it as much as fancy feast. I would think it is because the Tiki is better for them but the fancy feast tastes better. I feed both but I feel bad when I know they really don't like the Tiki.

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried Tiki but if I remember right all the flavors had fish in the ingredient and one of my cats was allergic to fish. She's passed on now but she lived to be 16. Maybe I'll try some of that again on occasion and see if they'll eat it once in a while. I was going to go buy some Honest Kitchen again and try that, mixing it into the food they will eat. I tried it once before but it is dried and powdery and when you add the water it becomes very soupy and my cats would not eat it.

hopeformyferal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last three cats who are now two were only 6 weeks when I got them and they were on Fancy Feast and I think that is why they love it so much, My two 12 year old cats , Brandy and Andy were always on dry food because I was an IDIOT who thought that was the best for for them and there teeth ect,.. Andy will barely eat any wet food. My Brandy however, really likes some of the fancy feast,

GOOD LUCK!!

awoakland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would just like to add, as a newbie, that my kitty seems to poop in the middle of the night and it really is not a pleasurable odor to say the least. My sleeping is erratic at best, so it's not usually that disruptive. (We like, just the two of us, in a rather small apartment and the litter box is not far away enough to prevent me from smelling # 2's.) On the digestive issue, it definitely is in correlation with the amount of food (including treats) she eats daily. I have had a rather hard time and wasted a LOT of money on getting the food formula down. I think I pretty well have it. But that is another post all to itself and I hope to do some more research as time allows as to how others have handled the food issue. My kitty seems to be extremely picky. Very high maintenance, you might say. My BIG QUESTION: is it normal behavior for cats to prefer to eat the exact same thing every single day, for every single meal? My kitty seems to be of this variety. ERGO - the waste of time, money, and energy seeking out different foods I thought she may enjoy; I was of course imposing my tastes upon hers, thinking she would enjoy some variety in her diet. Didn't work that way. AWESOME site, I am learning a whole lot and hope to continue doing so. 

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Using Pellets solves All Litter issues.  

No odor

Less tracking

Less toxic for their system

Cost effective  

Pellets = Sawdust that's it.     *lots of odor start with deworming ;)

Last edited:

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My BIG QUESTION: is it normal behavior for cats to prefer to eat the exact same thing every single day, for every single meal?
Manny cats prefer to eat the same thing every day. I think they do it because it is safe. Their thinking goes something like this: the food I ate yesterday did not hurt me so I will eat it again today. This behavior is evident when a cat has a dental issue and they suddenly go off their food, even if the food can be swallowed whole. The food likely slid up and injured the gum or tooth and  the cat blames the food and refuses to eat it the next time. Sometimes a cat will gorge on a food and instead of vomiting up some, they just keep it down and feel sick. Think of eating way too much cookie dough; how soon are you likely to eat more? How many of you have brought a new food home and kitty devours the food only to not touch it the next day. They blame the food for making them sick and go back to their old food. This does not mean there was something wrong with the new food, only that it was introduced incorrectly. I like to put the new food down and if they dive in, I remove the old food and watch them. Once they have eaten 15 pieces of food I pick the cat up and take them to another room and distract them with play. They forget about the new food and the next time they are hungry the food is not such a novelty and they seldom overeat to the point of being sick.

If a new food tastes good you can convince them to try it, but if you continue to mix the old with the new they often revert back to the old. Why? Because the novelty wears off and the old food is a safer bet. If you want to convert a cat to a new food, I believe that it is usually best to just switch instead of mixing the old with the new. In my experience as long as you go from a lower quality food to a higher quality food, you can just switch them over with few problems. Unless you know that your kitty has digestive issues. A higher quality food is usually defined as having a higher percentage of animal protein and fat.

Bring the new food home if they like it take away the old and monitor to make sure they are eating. What goes in must come out, so monitor the litter box. Most companies recommend a slow change over because that is what dogs need. So many of the rules for pets are based on what dogs need, like lots of starch. For the average cat you may see a softening of the stool with a quick changeover, but that is harmless and would have likely happened anyway.

Kibble size is another one that is geared to dogs. Dogs have grinding molars for crushing, your cat does not. Some companies even make foods for cats that force them to chew the food to supposedly help clean the teeth. The cats teeth are like ice picks and when you chop ice only the point stays shiny. It is the same with your cat's teeth. The problem area is at the gum line and that never gets scraped. Many small particles of food become lodged between the teeth and gums, when pointed teeth chew a hard food. Lodged food will increase plaque and gingivitis.

Cats prefer a food small enough to swallow whole and they like it round. Even if you give a cat a small piece of meat they will shake it and do the alligator chug and swallow it whole. Imagine chewing hard food on your eye teeth and your cat's teeth are even more pointed. I would like to know what reason a company has for making the food in the shape of a cross (+). I have never taken a pill that was not roundish. The same guys that decided to put fruit in cat food probably designed the shape of the food.

Sorry some senseless things just bug me.

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ,sometimes my cats will come back to the litter tray 2 or 3 times to cover their business also they tend to scratch at the walls nearby .

mscatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are fairly predicable also; my IBD kitty goes twice a day - usually early AM and mid to late afternoon. Her brother goes every-other-day, which is odd as they pretty much eat the same thing at the same time. They are close in weight also. 

When Carly was diagnosed with IBD I immediately took her off of dry food. I used to free feed dry, and give wet as a treat twice a day. Thankfully, that transition wasn't too difficult as they always looked forward to their "treat". Little did I know I could have been creating some serious health issues for them by having the kibbles available 24/7. Now they are on a primarily home cooked diet, but I still keep a few cans of Fancy Feast in my cabinet! If someone could come up with a totally health food that would smell and taste like Fancy Feast they would make a fortune. 

davidc59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best thing about having cats is you no longer need a shredder ,just tear your receipts in to little bits and put them in the plastic bags that you use for the used cat litter.

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

may be 10/12 times a day. Just my opinion.
Wow if your cat is pooping 10-12 times a day that is a problem. Maybe you meant they consumed 10-12 meals a day. In my experience a cat will poop once every 24-36 hours and will pee 2-4 times in 24 hours. If you cat is peeing more you may want to have a vet check for diabetes or kidney disease.

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, any cat peeing 10-12 times a day needs a vet exam and bloodwork done... I don't think my cat with kidney disease didn't peed that much.