How Many Pounds Of Cat Litter You Buy Each Time?

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, I don't know that should I purchase multiplie bags of litter and go save it at home in a large container? or buy one bag only and do again after it gets used out?

anybody get a lot of litter at once and save at home?

what type of litter do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the kind of litter you use. Clumping litter usually lasts longer than non-clumping.

I use okocat wood clumping litter and I buy one 13.5lb box to last me through a whole month.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually have 4-5 35lb tubs of Tidy Cats litter at my apartment at all times (I have 8 now, because of the Black Friday sale). But one tub last me a little more than a month with my two cats.

If you don't have the space to store a bunch of litter, just buy it as needed.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the 40 pound boxes of clumping litter for around $10. Anything less is not enough, because I use two jumbo litter boxes. I usually get Special Kitty from Walmart, Berkley & Jensen from BJ's, and Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply. I get Arm & Hammer or Scoop Away sometimes when BJ's gives me a $3 off coupon.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always bought 10 ltr bags for £3.50 and pick it up myself but this week I went mad and order online 120 ltr for £34 including delivery. A saving of £8 and no lugging it through town to my car

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Litter doesn't go bad, so if you have the space it's normally cheaper to buy in larger amounts. I normally buy at least 2 40lb boxes/bags/buckets at a time.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I get 50 lbs of non-medicated chick crumbles from a farm feed store. It's organic and flushable (if you desire to flush instead of disposing). Plus it's healthier for the cats to breathe in/eat as opposed to clay clitter.

Much cheaper too! I pay $15 for a 50 lb bag

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get the 14lb bag of World's Best corn litter and then pour it into a sealed bin so it's easier for me to scoop out with an old coffee mug. :lol: I only have one cat so it lasts about a month.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best, but I'm a 'senior' and disabled, so I buy the smaller size (7 lbs) even though it's not economical to do so. It's easier for me to manage. But I keep a supply (usually at least 2 bags) so that I can wait for sales to buy it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a set amount. I grab some whenever I see it on sale so I always have some.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we buy either one or two 40-pound bags of dr elsey's each time we buy litter.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a 20 lb clay-based clumping litter bag a month ago (Arm & Hammer) and am surprised that I've used it up in a month's time for one cat. The non-clumping 20lb bag before that lasted a lot longer, even though I had to clean the box more often. I think the cat's pees used up a lot of the clumping litter.

I'm still sticking to clumping litter; I was just surprised at how quickly it's used up.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use non clumping clay litter. One kitten is allergic to scents. I usually buy 2-25lbs bags when I go to the store, but a bag only lasts a week. (I dump, clean and refill everyday). The store doesn't carry much of this and hasn't had any the last 3 times I've gone, so I may be dipping into the bag of pine shavings real quick.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
When I do a complete clean out of the litter box, about once every 3 -4 weeks, I use an entire 18 lb box. I usually go through another 18 lb box during the month. I keep at least 2 extra boxes in the house, at all times.. never know when I may have to do an emergency quick clean out/change.....

Today, because they were out of the 18 lb boxes, I had to buy a 40 lb bag.. It was so hard to get them into the apartment .. It is beyond what I my lifting restrictions are and what I am physically able to lift.. getting into the trunk of the car is no problem, because I ask the store for help....but getting it out, is the issue..