How Many Ounces Of Canned For Very Active Cat?

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello cat slaves :insertevillaugh:

I took Aslan to the vet for his annual, as he will be one year old at the end of the month. He is fine, with the exception of soft stool. The vet wanted to run a 200 dollar test but since he has lost no weight and doesn't appear to be sick, I've decided to hold off on that for a while.

Actually, he needs to lose a little weight--or at least, not keep gaining. He is 12lbs. I may have gone overboard feeding him because he is so active and will always scarf the food down. I took that as a sign he was still hungry and kept feeding him. Plus, when I first got him he was only on Fancy Feast and those cans look small to me.

Now he is eating Weruva Cats in the Kitchen (Kitchen Cuties Variety Pack & Goldie Lox and the 3 Fares Variety Pack), Nutro Cuts in Gravy Variety Pack and Fancy Feast Poultry Variety Pack. He does tend to get bored easily, thus the many flavors on hand.

My question is this. He gets no dry food, so is it okay to feed him 12oz of wet food a day?

That would be one of the 6oz Weruva cans in the morning one in the evening and maybe if he is still peckish, one of the small 2.6 or 3oz of either the Nutro or FF before I go to bed.
I don't really love being woken up at 4am because he wants to eat. I know that is more than the average cat, but he is very active and gets no dry food. I also know Weruva is lower in calories.

I don't want him to be chubby but I also don't want him to be hungry. Any advice would be much appreciated!

PS, I have considered adding the Tiki Cat After Dark flavors to the rotation, but the reviews are very divided, so if anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Something you could do if you aren't already is to weigh him maybe once a week or so and keep a log of his weights. Then you'll know for certain what works for his particular situation, and a side benefit is that you can see if ever anything starts to go awry.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Olive is a little porker and will eat any and all food I give her. I once fed her an entire 5.5 oz can of Lotus Stew because there was a typo on label for the amount of calories (it listed 75 but it was around 140) and she almost ate the entire can in one sitting. She burped a lot after, lol.

Olive is a healthy 10 lbs and moderately active. I feed her based on ~20-25 kcal/lb guideline. She gets 3 meals of about 70-75 kcal, which is about one 5.5 oz can of pate or 1.5 cans of stew or morsels. She gladly begs for food if she sees it (or if you open a can of tomato soup there is much disappointment) but she is not really hungry, just food motivated. Based on the average calories in the Weruva cans, 12 oz seems to be in the right ballpark.

She and I really like the Tiki Cat after Dark line. It has nice chunks of meat and is very brothy. There is no real thickeners to it like gums or carrageenan, which I like. It does contain Vitamin K (menadione), which I read may not be great. I don't feed it everyday, I use it a few times per week mixed with other foods that don't have menadione.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of the weruva foods ive seen are low calorie foods. So he might not be eating as much as you think. My active cat eats 6 ounces of raw a day and he's around 12 pounds as well. His eating hasn't really slowed down. He would eat more if i let him!

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he needs to lose weight I would probably feed him around 200-220 calories worth of wet food a day. For maintenance he probably needs 240-260 calories a day. I don't know how many ounces of food that translates to as it will depend on the variety you are feeding. Some are more calorically dense than others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!

My plan is to try to feed higher protein, lower carb food to keep his weight down.

I've decided to try the After Dark, seems very high in protein. Expensive, though.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it is a little price which is another reason I don't feed it every day. I feed Rawz and Dr Elsey's brands, which seem to be somewhat high in protein (not as much as Tiki Cat) but a little more cost effective.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never eaten over 9oz of canned food each in one day.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pioneer Pet Big Max Stainless Steel Fountain
I have this one. The stainless works well and isn’t as heavy as the ceramic one.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my kittens are big eaters. My boy especially I’d say. Most days he eats 9oz....he has a 3oz breakfast at 6:30am, a second breakfast at 9:30 or 10 of 3oz again, and dinner around 5, 3oz again. However, sometimes he needs a before bed snack....and if that’s wet food it’s another 1.5oz.
My girl kitty usually eats about 6-7oz a day.