How Many Only Have 1 Cat?

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've only had two cats (twins) but if I'm going to get another cat in the future, it would be 2 or more littermates.
They play and fight, but when I see them grooming each other or sleeping together, I'm glad I took them in together.
When I take them to the vet, they comfort each other and go in one carrier too. They stop crying when I let them stay in one carrier.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've only had two cats (twins) but if I'm going to get another cat in the future, it would be 2 or more littermates.
They play and fight, but when I see them grooming each other or sleeping together, I'm glad I took them in together.
When I take them to the vet, they comfort each other and go in one carrier too. They stop crying when I let them stay in one carrier.
I had two twin cats, all black, from the same litter for years. I loved watching them interact because they would play fight like siblings, and 2 seconds later were happily curled up into a big ball giving one another baths. 💔

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice, we have had single cats. The first was an elderly one that had belonged to Michele's parents that we brought home after we bought our house. The next was a stray that showed up and hung around until we brought him in from the cold. Since then, we have had multiple cats,and currently there are five under our roof. One is now 12; three, aged 11, are littermates; and the last- age unknown, but we suspect it to be 9- was a TNR. They mostly get along, sometimes sleeping together, sometimes playing tag, sometimes just demanding our attention. It can be expensive at times, but when they cuddle up with you at night, it's worth it.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well, Ebony and Tigger came from different rescues, so technically they was adoptive sisters

Ebony had lost most of her kittens, sadly, before the rescue could step in, so after she was adopted out to me she started off deciding that my mum's old boy cat Tom was her kitten, then when he passed away and we got Tigger, she decided Tigger was her new baby kitten :heartshape:

Tom, the rescue thought was about 10 or 11 but he was very grumpy and bitey and he was found to have a seriously bad thing wrong with his spine, as the months went by after Mum adopted him it was proved his spine was twisting itself and crushing itself, the rescue had *assumed* it was arthritis and hadn't bothered to properly investigate :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I went ahead and took the plunge! I adopted a 1 year old mother and her 4 month old daughter!
They came home last evening and what chaos! Mom loves to eat up the little one's food..tastes better. So I was standing guard today over the baby's bowl.They were transported to a local shelter here in New england from Florida and are so stinkin' cute! I will try and get a photo when I can get the baby to stay still.
Last night they had the zoomies..THE ENTIRE NIGHT! They love to explore the higher levels, but settled down more this evening. I love the way Mom trills/chirps commands to her and shows her how to play with the toys, to follow her, etc. She is a perfect mother. It is so the opposite from my dear aged Louise who died a senior. ( I miss her so much)

The shelter was feeding them on Hills Diet wet and dry, and what a stink in the litterbox..to the extent where I had to give them new living space down the hall away from my bedroom which was in the next room and another litterbox. I also closeted the remaining Hills I came home with and decided not to gradually introduce a new food, but just went ahead and fully changed their food to Purina Pro Kitten and Essential Adult(which I am not crazy about, but the best thing nearby). The air was much more pleasant today! I think the dry food and its slow digestion allowed bacteria to multiply in their gut too, so no dry kibble in this house......except for emergency situations to tide them over. I have a sampler of The Honest Kitchen wet in the fridge and will see if they can take a mix of that next week to gradually get into healthier foods..

Today was their first full day going through the entire house ,navigated well, and they loved it .especially the windows on the sunporch. Mom was an outdoor cat and so enjoyed looking at the trees and birds today and basking in the warm sun.
In all it was a perfect day!
Thanks to all for relating your stories and takes on having more than 1 cat. The posts were a tremendous help in choosing this time around.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well I went ahead and took the plunge! I adopted a 1 year old mother and her 4 month old daughter!
They came home last evening and what chaos! Mom loves to eat up the little one's food..tastes better. So I was standing guard today over the baby's bowl.They were transported to a local shelter here in New england from Florida and are so stinkin' cute! I will try and get a photo when I can get the baby to stay still.
Last night they had the zoomies..THE ENTIRE NIGHT! They love to explore the higher levels, but settled down more this evening. I love the way Mom trills/chirps commands to her and shows her how to play with the toys, to follow her, etc. She is a perfect mother. It is so the opposite from my dear aged Louise who died a senior. ( I miss her so much)

The shelter was feeding them on Hills Diet wet and dry, and what a stink in the litterbox..to the extent where I had to give them new living space down the hall away from my bedroom which was in the next room and another litterbox. I also closeted the remaining Hills I came home with and decided not to gradually introduce a new food, but just went ahead and fully changed their food to Purina Pro Kitten and Essential Adult(which I am not crazy about, but the best thing nearby). The air was much more pleasant today! I think the dry food and its slow digestion allowed bacteria to multiply in their gut too, so no dry kibble in this house......except for emergency situations to tide them over. I have a sampler of The Honest Kitchen wet in the fridge and will see if they can take a mix of that next week to gradually get into healthier foods..

Today was their first full day going through the entire house ,navigated well, and they loved it .especially the windows on the sunporch. Mom was an outdoor cat and so enjoyed looking at the trees and birds today and basking in the warm sun.
Thanks to all for relating your stories and takes on having more than 1 cat. The posts were a tremendous help in choosing this time around.
This is so awesome, I am so happy you have TWO new friends!!!
I wouldn't be too upset with you if you posted a photo or two, either. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't get the little one to stay still..she is still a bit skittish. But here is the Ad photo from the shelter with their old names.
The new adoptive names are Lil Kiwi(formerly Stella) and her Mom Peaches. And yes, she IS her mom! kiwi and Peaches.jpg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Daisy three years ago, she was the only cat at the shelter who was listed as being suitable to live with other cats. All the rest were single cat only. In hindsight think Maddie (my avatar) would have been happier on her own - she didn't like Phoebe's rambunctious ways much. Phoebe, by contrast, was obviously missing her, or having another cat around at least, when she died, and adapted very quickly to Daisy's presence.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I adopted Daisy three years ago, she was the only cat at the shelter who was listed as being suitable to live with other cats. All the rest were single cat only. In hindsight think Maddie (my avatar) would have been happier on her own - she didn't like Phoebe's rambunctious ways much. Phoebe, by contrast, was obviously missing her, or having another cat around at least, when she died, and adapted very quickly to Daisy's presence.
I wish I had a crystal ball and would be able to see how the girls would react to having another kitten in the house. Sarah has taken so well to Livie and Lila is practically glued to my hip so I'm afraid to upset things as they are going since Goofy passed.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a crystal ball and would be able to see how the girls would react to having another kitten in the house. Sarah has taken so well to Livie and Lila is practically glued to my hip so I'm afraid to upset things as they are going since Goofy passed.
I'd be inclined to leave it for now, in that case.
I doubt I'll get another cat if Phoebe passes before Daisy - Daisy's a little bit jealous and clingy - but it will also depend on whether I'm working by then. If Phoebe gets another seven years I'll be at pension age, so won't have to work. There's also the matter of who's to look after one or two should anything happen to me, like needing hospital stays.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Caannes Magnus's foster actually has a similar story about Magnus.

Oh I am so happy a d excited for you. I can't wait to hear more as they settle in. 💕 And see photos of course when you have the chance.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only adopt 1 more cat or i financialy can't afford it. Anual vet bills, premium grain free food (Indy will only eat grain free), it all ads up.
I can relate. We have to get the Prescription Diet CD for Stretch, and the ZD for the other four. Its $100 each for the 17 pound bag from Chewy. Yeah, it gets expensive, but it's what they need, so it's what they get.