How Many Litter Boxes Are Needed For 2 Cats?

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats and I am wondering that how many litter boxes do I need?

two? or three? i heard that ideally, we need n+1 number of litter boxes. n is the number of cats.....

how many cats do you have? and how many litter boxes?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have three boxes for two cats. I do know people who do not have the extra box and their cats do fine. I think a lot depends on the cats personalities, how well they get along and how clean the boxes are kept.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ideally each cat should have one box and there should be one extra box. If you live in a very small place, you may be able to get away with just one litter box.

I have two cats but one litter box. Neither cat seems to mind sharing. I scoop three times a day.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally three. I have two cats and three litterboxes. Two in the basement and one upstairs. At least two. I couldnt imagine just having one. That would get super dirty.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like others said, n+1 is ideal.

But personally in my 1 bedroom apartment, that's just not feasible. 2 takes up enough space, and the boys get along fine, so they've never had any issues with not having a 3rd. I also scoop 2-4 times a day.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 5 boxes for 2 cats. They like having options. I think 3 would be good for you though if you have the room.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have four available for my two kittens. Two are in bathrooms and I’m always paranoid those two may be unavailable at the same time so there are two more.

Tbruner10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the general rule is 1 per cat, plus 1. We have 2 cats - one senior and one kitten. We just had 2 - one regular in the bedroom and one automated upstairs. But our senior is starting to have some joint issues so we added one in the stairway just so that he has another option. (He was suddenly peeing in the bathtub and stopped when we did that, so apparently that was the issue!) We will also be adding another regular one upstairs, so that if he is up there he doesn't have to come all the way down the stairs.