How Many Indoor Cats Do You Have?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have two but only have the one now after losing Tik. The house seems very quiet now with just the one. Maybe I'll get another one day but at the moment my patches seems to be enjoying being a very pampered boy. Like others have said if you can look after them have as many as you like.:)

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We live in a one bedroom rental and we've had 3 indoor cats for many years. It wasn't TOO crowded, but we also have climbers and places where cats can get up high. We utilized vertical space so it helped a lot. When Tara passed away in April, we were down to 2 cats. We wanted to get another fairly quickly and restore our 3 cat population, but we also wanted to follow the rules of our community and so we went to the office to "ask permission". We've lived here for 27 years and have always had 3 cats, and even before we moved to this place, we had 3 cats in our old home-- that was nearly 30 years of being a 3 cat household. They were all noted on our rental records, and as one would venture across The Bridge, we would send a notice and "announcement" of any new arrivals. Earlier this year, the policy changed, and after Tara passed and we made our request, we were informed of the change. No more than 2 pets allowed now. So, although we were disappointed, we abided by that rule. Then Skye passed over The Bridge in July. So, we were down to only one cat, our Tonkinese boy who's over 14 now. So, we again asked permission to adopt another fur baby, explaining that out beloved 17 year old had passed. Permission granted... so Rain came to our family in September. So, we have 2 fur babies again, and we still wish we could have our traditional 3. But, rules are rules... and we would rather be able to keep our fur babies than have to give anyone away.

The most extreme multipet case that I personally knew was a family that had 21... that's twenty-one cats and 4 dogs. BUT... this was a literal mansion, and the place was immaculate. These were very wealthy people. These people were major clients at a vet clinic where I worked, and they were one of our house calls. Obviously with so many pets, it was a logistical nightmare to bring everyone in, so we went to them. Every single pet there was well socialized (except for one Chihuahua, but well... it was a Chihuahua!), and this family even had staff whose role was to care for the pets' premises. There wasn't a speck of litter out of place, not a whiff of pee or poo in the house, barely even a stray bit of hair anywhere. One kitty was FIV positive and needed fluids once a week, and was so calm that he just laid there and purred and rubbed my hands while I did the treatment. As I was tending to him, I felt a sudden sharp pain in the back of my calf! I whipped around to see what had just happened... and saw the tail end of the Chihuahua scooting back under the sofa where he had been hiding the whole time! That was the first and last time that I saw that little carpet shark the whole visit! The other cats just came around and twined around our legs and it sounded like a motor factory in that room (the room where we had them rounded up for their vaccines and services... otherwise, they had run of the house!) There was only one who didn't get done that day, because he was outside in the tree and didn't want to come down, LOL! And with the exception of that Chihuahua, the dogs were just as sweet and docile as anything. I was very impressed with how well ALL of these creatures were cared for. As others have said, it's much better to have many well cared-for pets than to have one sad soul who is banished to the yard or the basement, wallowing in their own waste and never knowing the love of their person. And it was very apparent that every one of these pets in this mansion were beloved members of the family!

Jen7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did have two but only have the one now after losing Tik. The house seems very quiet now with just the one. Maybe I'll get another one day but at the moment my patches seems to be enjoying being a very pampered boy. Like others have said if you can look after them have as many as you like.:)
It's very difficult for me not to rescue them when the other option is a very full Humane Society or out in the cold. I know I can't help all of them, but the ones that enter my world are really difficult for me to say no to. I'm at the point where I'll have to say no and it's really heartbreaking to me.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve been a 2 cat household right off the bat because we had adopted 2 brother kittens together, however recently we added a 3rd baby girl into the mix and now we have 3 cats!
I felt a little odd at first, thinking it was too many cats, but seeing their personalities grow was worth it.
What do you think? Is 3 indoor cats too many?
No...3 indoor cats isnt too many...as long as each one gets the same amount of attention n they all get along..IMO