How many flavors/what to avoid?

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is now 14 weeks old, and we had quite a few issues with him regarding loose stools. He was diagnosed with a Clostridium infection that we’re treating with antibiotics and S. Boulardii, however I’m concerned about his diet.

To give some context, his breeder was feeding him Purina Friskies Mixed Grill Pate and IAMS Kitten Dry Kibble.

I changed his food gradually to Tiki Cat, however due to the diarrhea getting worse I went beck to Friskies. This was before I knew he had Clostridium, so I assume his diarrhea was 99% caused by the bacterial infection rather than the food I was giving him.

Now I would want to switch back to Tiki Cat, which I have been doing for the past week or so. His stools are currently semi-solid for the most part and I really want to avoid any food that could potentially give him diarrhea. He definitely did improve, but it’s not exactly how it should be yet.

For example, I noticed that two flavors I gave him contain Inulin (I will attach a picture) and I believe I did read somewhere that it can cause diarrhea? Is this correct?

Can anyone please tell me what ingredients I should avoid when it comes to preventing Diarrhea?
And how many flavors should I include in his weekly diet? I want to provide variety, but at the same time make sure he doesn’t have any digestive issues.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten is now 14 weeks old, and we had quite a few issues with him regarding loose stools. He was diagnosed with a Clostridium infection that we’re treating with antibiotics and S. Boulardii, however I’m concerned about his diet.

To give some context, his breeder was feeding him Purina Friskies Mixed Grill Pate and IAMS Kitten Dry Kibble.

I changed his food gradually to Tiki Cat, however due to the diarrhea getting worse I went beck to Friskies. This was before I knew he had Clostridium, so I assume his diarrhea was 99% caused by the bacterial infection rather than the food I was giving him.

Now I would want to switch back to Tiki Cat, which I have been doing for the past week or so. His stools are currently semi-solid for the most part and I really want to avoid any food that could potentially give him diarrhea. He definitely did improve, but it’s not exactly how it should be yet.

For example, I noticed that two flavors I gave him contain Inulin (I will attach a picture) and I believe I did read somewhere that it can cause diarrhea? Is this correct?

Can anyone please tell me what ingredients I should avoid when it comes to preventing Diarrhea?
And how many flavors should I include in his weekly diet? I want to provide variety, but at the same time make sure he doesn’t have any digestive issues.

Thank you so much!
Hello JBMMBJ JBMMBJ and welcome to TCS! I do not have knowledge of this and hope someone who does know will answer soon. Raw pumpkin, without any spices, may be mixed into wet food (a couple of spoonsful) to help get rid of diarrhea OR constipation, it's said. Again, hoping someone knowledgeable will answer you soon. I feed Blue Buffalo and Soulistic wet foods, in a wide variety of formulas. My cats are 16 and 13, and my 16-year-old sometimes gets the runs with seafood varieties that have a lot of gravy. So the pate and flaked varieties are less risky for her.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally I avoid fish flavours where I can, and give them only occasionally as a treat, so once every few weeks or so. The way this was explained to me was that fish can be addictive, and is best used as a nuclear option when medicating etc. However my cats love it so much I give fish flavoured cat food on occasion to spice things up. And I avoid tuna completely.

I rotate through chicken, duck, beef and lamb flavours every week, and sometimes a bit of turkey. So one day I will give chicken, the next beef and so on. I have heard that some cats find duck and turkey a little too rich, so introduce carefully. I also only rotate wet food flavours and keep the dry food the same.

Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally I avoid fish flavours where I can, and give them only occasionally as a treat, so once every few weeks or so. The way this was explained to me was that fish can be addictive, and is best used as a nuclear option when medicating etc. However my cats love it so much I give fish flavoured cat food on occasion to spice things up. And I avoid tuna completely.

I rotate through chicken, duck, beef and lamb flavours every week, and sometimes a bit of turkey. So one day I will give chicken, the next beef and so on. I have heard that some cats find duck and turkey a little too rich, so introduce carefully. I also only rotate wet food flavours and keep the dry food the same.

Best of luck!
Hello JBMMBJ JBMMBJ and welcome to TCS! I do not have knowledge of this and hope someone who does know will answer soon. Raw pumpkin, without any spices, may be mixed into wet food (a couple of spoonsful) to help get rid of diarrhea OR constipation, it's said. Again, hoping someone knowledgeable will answer you soon. I feed Blue Buffalo and Soulistic wet foods, in a wide variety of formulas. My cats are 16 and 13, and my 16-year-old sometimes gets the runs with seafood varieties that have a lot of gravy. So the pate and flaked varieties are less risky for her.
Thank you very much! I give him pumpkin purée indeed (always from Tiki Cat) and he loves it! I try not to give him too much though, I’m always worried it may cause him to have loose stools!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Inulin is technically a fiber and is also considered a prebiotic. But, as with most any food/ingredient, it could cause loose stool if your cat consumes enough of it and has a bit of an allergy to it. If the pumpkin works, stick with it!

While it is not kitten food, check out Tiki Cat mousse for adult cats - I don't think it contains inulin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Inulin is technically a fiber and is also considered a prebiotic. But, as with most any food/ingredient, it could cause loose stool if your cat consumes enough of it and has a bit of an allergy to it. If the pumpkin works, stick with it!

While it is not kitten food, check out Tiki Cat mousse for adult cats - I don't think it contains inulin.
Thank you very much for the info! I ordered the Tiki Cat Mousse (he already had these before and liked them) and a couple of flavors from Tiki Cat After Dark. I’m sure the first line is for AllLifestafes, and they’re all in the form of Pate. They don’t contain Inulin, so hopefully I’ll have no issues!