How many cats is too many cats?

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The biggest problem with multiple cats seems to be more with litter box issues and food issues. As in, making sure their basic needs are met. Affection is easy, for the most part, as is territory after the first week or two of introductions. The hard part is making sure you can keep up on the litter cleaning and making sure everyone is well fed, without one cat being a food bully.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, too many cats is more than you can AFFORD TO PROPERLY CARE FOR.

I don't think it's a matter of space and/or time, I think it is a matter of being able to properly feed and provide proper veterinary care for the animals that you choose to live with.

Once you can't afford to pay for vet care, IMO, then you have too many animals

-\tGingersmom

While I agree with all of the above and think that is a great post, it also is a personal choice with many other factors. For instance, is your significant other or you allergic? If so, too many kitties could make it harder on your allergies even if you are taking many steps to help the allergies. Are you gone a lot, for instance, both working a full time job, you might want to have at least 2 kitties so they can keep each other company during the long work week.

Are you aware that 2 cats need at least 2 litter boxes and those need to be changed everyday, cats produce a lot of daily waste so the more cats you have the more times you need to clean the box daily and the more boxes you need to place all over your home. Some cats NEED more attention than others or will get destructive; some need interactive play at least once a day for an hour. Sometimes another cat can help these active kitties so you might want to look into getting them a friend depending on many factors, but they will still need extra attention and daily play time.

Some cats demand to be a part of everything you do at all times and want to be the center of attention. Some cats won’t accept other cats. Some households work best with only a certain number of animals that work for everyone living in the household, bringing in pets is a joint decision.

While I have many dogs I only have one cat. That is what this household personally feels comfortable with, and this one cat has such a huge personality that one is enough!
I wouldn’t want another kitty, even though I have lots of space for more kitties and can properly feed all my animals and provide proper vet care. There are other factors.