How many cats enjoy watching TV?

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering  how many of my fellow community members have cats that watch TV, and know what it is that they are watching? My Midnight loved to watch baseball on the TV, as well as wildlife specials, and she loved seeing dogs get their comeuppance on AFV.

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love to sit with me when I play video games, and one of my mother's cats like to chase the select icon when she uses the Wii. They always know when I'm in a important part of a game though, because they always slam their faces into the controllers at that moment and mess me up! They're so rude!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this counts as *watching* tv, but my Oscar loves to lay on top of the tv in my bedroom, and then paw at all the movements on the screen below. So I have tons of little pawprints on my tv screen :lol3:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always leave the livingroom TV on they watch cartoons, commercials with animals. In bedroom big screen end of the bed they chase balls anything moving.  Used to have animal planet they love that station.  

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
My cat watched some nature show with birds... And then my mother and I were watching some Animal Planet cute baby animals show--and there were kittens mewing. She was into that..

But mostly, she might check it out, but not watch. She's more into walking around on the top of the couch and climbing over everyone.

judicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My angel cat Spike watched tv.  Not always what you'd expect - the first time I saw him watching, he was sitting on the floor in front of the tv, avidly watching some politician give a speech on C-Span.  He liked Family Guy and basketball games.  A nature special on meerkats caught his attention from across the room once, and he trotted right up to watch that.  The funniest one I remember - it was some nature show, Spike was lazing on the couch and sorta half-watching.  It was an ocean scene, and all of a sudden a shark swam into the picture.  I swear, Spike actually did a doubletake!  It was as if he were thinking, 'whoa, what is that?!'

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep...he didn't used to care, but somewhat recently I was watching one of those wildlife cams and a few birds came on...now he's hooked on the magic box. When I'm playing games he'll show an interest in the screen too. It also happens with my laptop now too...sometimes he'll follow the cursor around or watch a video I'm watching (especially if it his animals), and he'll paw at the screen.

Last edited:

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats show little interest in TV - even the made-for-cats DVDs.   Though Archie does like to change the channel with the remote; especially when I'm intently watching something.  

One of my friends, however, has a cat that loves television.  She sits on the edge of the coffee table and gazes at the screen.  Sometimes her head tracks with the motion on the screen; it's fun to watch her watch TV.  She's a cute cat.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both don't usually find the TV interesting.  Unless it's nature themed and then sometimes, if it catches their attention, they might sit and stare for a bit.  But they seem to wise up fast and walk away 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always liked the show "Cheers", but Midnight, for whatever reason, couldn't stand Ted Danson. Everytime she'd see him, she'd hiss, mrowl, and arch her back, Too funny!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty likes NCIS...but ONLY the original.  She has no interest in LA or NO.  Go figure.  She also has favorite movies.  If I put on "The American President" she is glued to the screen.  She also likes "Romancing the Stone."  Maybe it's a Mike Douglas thing?    She is also fascinated by "Joe's Apartment."  And we won't discuss that at all.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love reading the stories here. Robin watches TV. In fact, I think he's got a girlfriend: Juliana Margolies from The Good Wife. He just cannot take his eyes off of her! Oh, and sci fi. He might not be a human male of 32 years old, but he sure acts like one!

judicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I always liked the show "Cheers", but Midnight, for whatever reason, couldn't stand Ted Danson. Everytime she'd see him, she'd hiss, mrowl, and arch her back, Too funny!
That's funny!  I mentioned above that my angel cat Spike liked the animated show 'Family Guy.'  My husband would come into the room and say, eww, turn that off!  I'd tell him, I can't, Spike's watching it!

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Midnight also hated seeing Connie Chung as well. Maybe she knew something I didn't?

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's funny!  I mentioned above that my angel cat Spike liked the animated show 'Family Guy.'  My husband would come into the room and say, eww, turn that off!  I'd tell him, I can't, Spike's watching it!

They Love cartoons!    Catch them  watching the movie  Happy Feet  -animated movie , when

that's playing.    *internet their faves are Youtube real crow videos.

burt46

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Cheese loves watching lion documentaries. He hears them and then gets so focused on the screen, he'll even paw at them if they're running.

I didn't know cat DVDs existed, I want to try them now and see if they like them. :D

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen my Bear watch tv a few times. Last night while we was watching the news he was so interested in it. 

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend has a Persian kitty that likes watching Pretty Little Liars. Strange, but oh well...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our jaspurr likes to actually watch tv shows. not all tv shows, he's got preferences. jaspurr enjoys many nature/wild animal shows, shows with fish swimming underwater are a favorite, and he sometimes watches certain tv shows that i enjoy. deedee and allie like to chase things moving on the tv screen, also especially love to chase the 'pointer' on my computer and are fascinated with the emoticons that move.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Bud was a kitten, he tried attacking monsters on the screen when I was playing the MMO "The Secret World." I've got video of it on one of my devices and I'll try to dig that up. At the time he was so tiny that he had to reach up to "attack" the mobs on my 24-inch monitor. Now he's big enough just to park himself in front of it and swat at the screen.

He seems indifferent to the TV, except when there are quiet moments followed by a loud crash or bang, or a character screaming in a movie, that sort of thing. Occasionally he has also responded to the sound of dogs barking on the TV.