How Long To Leave Alone?

nedgar08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I like to go camping during the summer, and I'm wondering how long you guys recommend leaving our two cats alone. We can give them enough food & water, I just don't know about them getting upset or destroying our apartment. We've left them alone for just over a day before, and it went okay. The only problem I can think of is that they try to spill all their water, and play in it. So, if it runs out they'll go thirsty.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need someone to check on the cats once a day IMO. Just make sure no one got sick, injured, handle food/water, and empty the litterbox.

Its not rocket science, so if you have a trusted teen in the neighborhood that babysits children, just give em a quick break-down of whats expected along with your cell # for any questions and you should be good to go.

But I would not just leave cats alone for more than day.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest I've left Holland alone without someone checking on her is one day and two nights. Only a couple of times, as it KILLS me to leave her alone... but she's an only cat and not prone to trouble-making, so I've felt safe leaving her. I just made sure there was nothing laying out that could hurt her and that she had food and a few bowls of water.

If you have someone who can stop by at least once a day to check on things, that would be the most ideal route to go.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please do not leave your cats alone for more than a day! Even if you think that you have left out enough food, they will have no idea that they have to ration it. They will eat it all at once and then be left hungry - unless you have timed feeders but you would need a lot of them... What about their litter trays?
Can someone come in to look after them? When i go away, my cat goes to stay at my friends house. He has been going there since he was a kitten and has a great time. Do you have a friend who would like to do this? If you cannot find anyone then a boarding cattery would be the best thing.