How Long To Keep Them Separated

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I adopted our third cat...a grey tabby male who is under a year. He is neutered and has all shots. We have two other cats that are around 1 1/2. Binx saw our new kitty right when I brought him in, and he is generally super accepting of new animals in the house. He didn’t hiss or anything at all, just curious, and afterwards was running around excited and hyper. Kaia was also very accepting when we got our puppy and brought her home...no hissing or hiding, just curiosity and acceptance. Our new cat is super confident and outgoing, and was in a room full of cats.

How long should I keep them apart? I haven’t done this in a while (since we brought Binx home a year ago)....and it only took Kaia and Binx one day before they were running and playing together.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cats. You can only go as fast as the slowest cat. It took us six weeks to get Barry and Duncan integrated (both about 4 to 8 months old), but less than a week to add Paisley (3 months and the boys were about 2 years old) to the mix.

I'm assuming everyone is neutered - that makes it so much easier.

Your guys are young and seem to be accepting. I'm assuming no one is at the door growling or hissing? Do a visual introduction with baby gates or a cracked open door and see what happens. Be ready to cut it short if it gets pear shaped, but let them spend some time getting to know each other if it works.

Then you have to play it by ear - either that day or the next let them interact directly and lengthen the time as it works. Have toys and treats on hand for minor distractions. But cut it short and do a proper introduction if anyone gets upset. I wouldn't leave them together while you're not home for at least a week.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a couple of neutered males in the same age range, perhaps a bit older, to introduce. It took all of two hours to complete the introduction. They were sniffing at the door and trying to play, so I opened it. Instant buddies!

I later had to introduce a female kitten to them (quite young--about five weeks and not spayed at the time). I took a bit longer, perhaps 10 days (I don't remember). The older of the two boys gave her a hiss for good measure when I came in the house with her. I think the two actually were a bit frightened by her. Within a few days, she had figured out how to squeeze out under the door of her room, so I left her out most of the time, only putting her in her room in the evening and stuffing a rug under the door. She might have gotten a couple of hisses while playing, but that was all.

I know these were extremely quick intros. I was lucky, but intros can go well if the cats are willing. I'd let them be together while you're around to monitor the situation, and keep them apart at night for a while until you're sure they won't have any issues. I didn't need them, but I think the idea of keeping some toys around for a distraction is a good one, should the need arise.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd put the new cat in a safe room for a minimum of a day or two, just so it can settle in. If there are no signs of stress with any of the cats whatsoever and they all seem curious/interested, you could do a trial. Its certainly true that it can take minutes or hours just as well as it can take over a month. However, especially with three cats though, I wouldn't skip the day or two no matter what -- just give it a little time to make sure there is no hidden stress, because its going to be hard to control/seperate them if problems flare up.
If you see any signs of stress, no matter how slight, I'd extend it at least a bit longer.

If there is any doubt, crack the door with door jambs first, so they see each other a tad. That will probably bring out stress if there is going to be any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd put the new cat in a safe room for a minimum of a day or two, just so it can settle in. If there are no signs of stress with any of the cats whatsoever and they all seem curious/interested, you could do a trial. Its certainly true that it can take minutes or hours just as well as it can take over a month. However, especially with three cats though, I wouldn't skip the day or two no matter what -- just give it a little time to make sure there is no hidden stress, because its going to be hard to control/seperate them if problems flare up.
If you see any signs of stress, no matter how slight, I'd extend it at least a bit longer.

If there is any doubt, crack the door with door jambs first, so they see each other a tad. That will probably bring out stress if there is going to be any.
He is in his own room and has been since we got home. We always do a safe room when introducing a newbie. I may or may not crack the door tomorrow, I’m not sure yet...we will see how it goes. Binx is definitely interested, but so far Kaia could care less....all Kaia really cares about in her life is food, sleep and going outside! I don’t even know if she knows someone new is here, lol.