How Long To Give Pain Meds After Surgery/bowel Movements Returning To Normal

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. Sorry I have 100 questions! Oreo had surgery Wed for a couple small growth removals, and we found out she had an absorptive lesion and had to remove a tooth also. They said to give the oral pain meds as needed 8-12hrs. She seemed to be doing good today, we just gave her a dose, and its like wrestling a pig to do so! The first dose I didn't even get in her mouth. She hates it and was snorting! I'm almost wondering if by tomorrow she won't really need them? Do you think it's OK to discontinue? Its hard bc cats are stoic and you don't know...she had a absorptive lesion that took a whole tooth and we didn't even know!
Also, she had one bowel movement Wed night, and hasn't had one since. She has urinated, and is eating (only wet food, not her kibble soaked which I dont blame her, but wet food is new for her). I know when the dog had anesthesia it took a few days for her BMs to return to normal. Is that the same case for cats? Picture of my poor little "sausage" in her bodysuit for cuteness

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet and ask their opinion. She might be just fine without.

Pain meds can slow down the digestive tract. You could give her some canned pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin not pie filling). This can help with constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and ask their opinion. She might be just fine without.

Pain meds can slow down the digestive tract. You could give her some canned pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin not pie filling). This can help with constipation.
We will see how she does today without them. Of course our vet isn't open on Saturdays to ask them! And, once we took the bodysuit off, she pooped! I really think it was too restrictive and she kept getting her foot stuck in it...so we made something out of a baby onsie that just slides on her mid section. She also had a potty accident while in the suit...so i think that just wont work for her!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea for poop!!! Glad you were able to alter the suit and make her more comfy!