How Long to Get Used to New Place?

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll preface this with she has a vet appointment on Tuesday but in the meantime, I want to make sure I'm doing right by her!

Almost 4 weeks ago I and my two DSH girls moved from SC to FL. It was a traumatic move for Pompom, my youngest. She got stuck in the box springs in the hotel and we had to tear apart the room to get her out. Then, I dropped them off at the apartment and stayed with my parents, visiting every other day for a few days before my stuff came and I was able to move in. This coupled with the fact it's "Yellow Car Season" also known as "Death by Pollen."

Pompom has visually lost quite a bit of weight and she's not as hungry as she usually is. In the mornings to help my remembered I usually give them a handful of treats when I take my meds. Pre-move, she would scarf them down. Now she eats them but there's treats left. She's also gone from eating 2 3 oz cans of wet plus 2T dry to 1.5 of 3 oz wet food and her sister has been eating some of her dry.

She also used to sleep with me every night and that's something that has not returned since the move. She'll still sometimes cuddle me when I watch TV or sleep behind my knees for weekend afternoon naps. She still purrs and kneads me though not as frequently.

Long story longer, I'm worried about her. We're going to the vet on Tuesday afternoon which is gonna be fun because I go to pick her up now and she darts away. Is this kind of time to adjust normal? She's moved twice before with me, once a long distance from DC to SC and she didn't take more than a couple of days to adjust.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You don't mention her age. It is easier for younger cats to adjust than older ones. I would personally think that 4 weeks would be enough time, so, I think it is a good idea that you are having her checked by the Vet. Has anything else changed? Cats are very individual, so it could take her that long to adjust, but you should be seeing some improvement daily. I don't think the move would cause a decrease in appetite for longer than a day or so. Is she doing anything like drinking more than normal? Is she using the litter box normally? How did she travel? In the car loose or in a carrier? Anyway she could have been hurt during the trip? Were any chemicals used in the new place prior to your cats moving in? Is she getting along well with your other cat? How is your other cat adjusting?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, a lot depends on the individual cat. A shyer cat will take longer to adjust. Another concern...is she now living in a place where she can see other, strange animals through a window? If she isn't a very confident cat, this could also be causing her troubles. I do like that she will be seeing her new vet soon. Best to rule out physical issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To answer all the questions -
She's 7, will be 8 in May. She was in her carrier that was buckled in (the only way I let them go in the car) and I threw a sheet over it. She was also drugged on gabapentin because she pants and soils herself on long car rides if she's not.

Drinking and using the litter box just fine. She can see new birds out the window but no neighborhood cats that I've seen. My work hours increased - I used to be gone about 8.5 hours for work and now it's closer to 10. That's the only other routine change. And thankfully she's getting along with her sister!

I was thinking I'll pick up a pheromone diffuser while I'm out - can't hurt right? Thanks for confirming my "yeah, something's up!" vibes.