How long to feed Kitten food to my little demon kitty?

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nebula is 8 months old today (Feb baby). She's growing very well, spunky, crazy....all around pain in the butt.
She eats the Weruva Kitten formula wet food and also gets a 1/4 cup of Orijen Dry Kitten food. She loves the dry food (so does my 8yr old).

Just general question but when should start taking her off the kitten diet and move to an adult food ? Alot of places say 1 year, others 10 months.

Her is a picture of little Nebula:
20230809_172450[1].jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's when she stops growing, until then she needs the extra calories a kitten food provides. By growing, I mean gaining length or height not weight. For some cats thats as young as 9 months and others as old as 18 months, with the average being around 12 months. Most cats will bulk out some once they finish growing (think teenagers to adult in humans). Of course, if you are switching to an all stages/ages food then you can do so now since that is good for kittens and adult.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup with what Kieka Kieka says!

You could also slowly move over to adult dry and keep doing one portion of kitten wet for the day at around 1 year. I think all my cats have had a combination of foods around that time just from happenstance. But I usually like to feed kitten until they are 2 years old.