How long til my foster cat gives birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh fab. The problem I'm having is that the kittens are now 5 weeks, off mysh and onto wet and dry kitten food. I add krm to the dry the kittens look nice and healthy, gaining weight beautifully but mom isn't litter training them or taking much interest at all. She continues to dodge them when they try to feed , although she must let them still feed as her teats don't seem engorged. The 2 smaller kittens cry more than the others who are happy to play. If I separate mom from babies for a short time she scratches at the door. She has a home to go to and is booked in for neuter in 3 weeks. The new owners are very lovely and will ensure she stays indoirs until then. But what I don't want to do is let mom go to her new home until her milk has dried up but how do I encourage this? Also if I could integrate the kittens into the rest of my fosters my own cat is a very good mom substitute and will litter train but again I can't do this if momma cat is here. Any advice?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2

Can you help here?

All I can suggest it placeing the kittens somewhere  such as a bathroom with a litter pan of non clumping litter avalible and keep the litter clean and let them figure it out. You can also put there pooh in there after cleaning up after an accident and that helps them figure out where it goes. I did that with my four 7 week old kittens when they where learning and they are now litter pan useing masters.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 weeks seems early to completely wean off mom.  It usually takes a couple of weeks of the kittens eating both wet and dry and nursing before they wean.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D donnak

I do not suggest re-homing the mama cat until the kittens are 8 weeks old. I'm not understanding what the rush is. The kittens really need their mom until then, even though she is not catering to them as much anymore. The dynamic changes as they wean and nurse less, but they still nurse and look to her for comfort, and in turn, she teaches them kitten manners.

Where there is a mom available, I am never in favor of separating the kittens from their mother so young. The kittens end up with insecurity and ill behavior. We spend a lot of time in the Behavior Forum with folks who've acquired kittens too young and now must resolve issues.

I realize you are entrusting your resident cat to do this job, but it is best left to the actual mother.

As for litter training, if they are on solids they should be shown and begin using the litter box now - before bad habits set in - as their bowel movements should be turning solid.

I'm not sure this is what you wanted to hear, but it is what is in the best interest of the kittens.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No that's exactly the reassurance I needed. I absolutely don't want to do the wrong thing. Mom is booked in for neuter when the kittens will be 8 weeks but only for the day and was due to come back to me. I never let kittens go before 12 weeks and if mom is available they always stay together. This is the first time I've run into this stand iffish behaviour with a mommy and was worried that mom was getting depressed as I'm finding it difficult to get her to eat enough food to build her up. I will get a pic of her tomorrow and see what you think about her weight. I'm certainly in no rush to rehome her as she is no trouble at all. I was wondering whether to make the kittens area smaller by putting them in the playpen but leaving the too door open so that the kittens are not free to roam such a big area. Mom could get in and out but kittens wouldn't be able to. I think she goes to them be when she is ready rather than them constantly trying to dodge them. Just a bit of history. Momma cat was stray and was found in a member of the public's shed. 5 live kittens and 3 dead ones. They came in to me at 2-3 weeks. Momma doesn't particularly like being in and I dare not open a window and have to be very careful to make sure the door to her room is shut. I absolutely want what is best for momma and her babies but I'm getting very conflicting advice from others this end, hence asking you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that there is no rush, and I totally agree that 12 weeks is even better for the kittens.

I am concerned with your report that she is not eating well. What are you feeding her?

How many other cats are there in your home? I'm wondering if she'd prefer to be alone in a room with her babies, rather than the babies running around freely right now.

If she's healthy otherwise, I'd have to guess that something is stressing her. Perhaps we can get to the bottom of it.

Could she be in heat again?

And it's getting quite late here, so I'll be back in the morning.

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats of my own and a dog in the downstairs living area. She is in the utility area separate from the rest of the pets but it is quite a large area. She is having wet and dry kitten food along with her kittens but I also try to give her egg but she is reluctant to eat it, but she will eat cooked chicken and tuna mixed twice a day. She seems only to eat a small amount at a time. She just looks a bit sad. I let the kittens into the living room sometimes for 30 mins or so for her to take a break and she does seem fine with that but towards the 30 min mark she will start scratching the door and the kittens are promptly returned. That seems to kick start her maternal grooming and nursing but am I doing the right thing by even seperating them. The kittens love to play with my cats but is it right for momma. I've tried to find the tinned pumpkin but I've not been able to find any. I just wish she would put on weight. I sit and chat to her and she has started to come to me now and I'm sure I heard a slight soft purr off her yesterday. I'm hoping that may indicate that she is feeling a bit more relaxed. The Vet said I should try her on cooked chicken mince, sardines and keep on with the kitten food. What do you think?

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely get some rest, you deserve it and thank you. Oh and she doesn't appear to be in heat. Thanks again

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK so I've tried something new today and I think it may be a solution. I've put momma cat and kittens upstairs in the family bathroom. It's large enough for kittens to roam around and play and momma cat can jump in the tub or onto the loo seat to get some respite from Kitts but can still see them without being separated so she gets to choose how much time she gives them. Today she has seemed a much happier cat although I still think she would bolt for the front door given half a chance. She has eaten and even given me a little purr. I'm hoping she will be OK with us having to use the bathroom, it didn't seem to bother her too much today. Plus during the day it's only me at home. The two smaller babies are still crying more than the other 3 and when I go into the room they are literally climbing up my legs whereas the other 3 barely seem to notice me. Do you think perhaps this is a good move? I'm literally running out of ideas.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a great arrangement. As you've stated, mama cat is already visibly happier and they will have quite a bit of socialization there ;)

You are very aware and cautious about not letting mama cat out and this might be a great solution.

I imagine there are some kitten proofing issues and if they have the entire bathroom to move around in, every one must be hyper aware as not to step on one. That may sound silly but there have been accidents (mostly children) where a kitten has been stepped on.

You are doing a great job and I can tell you love this kitty family [emoji]128149[/emoji]

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I've moved all of the cleaning products and air fresheners and shoved old linen into places II don't want the kittens to getinto, such as behind the sink. And I've literally just out a big "beware if kittens" sign in the door. Thankfully my girls are 10 and 12 so I hope they think about where they are stepping but yes thanks for the advice.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On the rare occasion that momma allows them to feed they just swamp her, all fightingfor milk, not a calm nursing. Poor momma no wonder she doesn't want them feeding

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon at all for a nursing mama to look like that, you might want to give her kitten food, which is higher in calories and nourishment. Mine loves kitten replacement milk, which says right on it it can be given to cats that are malnourished. Just make sure she gets all the food she can right now, the kittens are taking a LOT out of her.Thank you for taking these sweet babies on, you will surely be blessed! 

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have her on kitten wet and drr, krm and she also has chicken and tuna. I hope that now she is happier she may start to put some weight in. The bathroom definitely has done the trick.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 I'm so pleased. Momma cat seems so much happier up here where it is nice quiet and more contained. She is even allowing kittens to nurse more so they are not all jumping on her at once. Now then, build her up time. What do you recommended and how often? Thanks everyone .