How long should he be alone....?

ashesmomma96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, before I begin, know that I love my cat more than anything. He is my first pet, and I rescued him from an abusive household and now he's spoiled rotten.

The problem is, I am a young college student living in my first apartment (which is the only reason I was able to save him, my parents are both allergic to cats)
I am half an hour away from any of my nearest family members, and I often spend the night at my parents house or my boyfriends. I worry about leaving him alone, especially for more than one night at a time.
I leave him plenty of toys, food, water, and a clean litter box, but he is still in the apartment alone.
Is me leaving him alone so often a bad thing? I want him to understand how much I love him but I can't always make it home.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's really not great to leave a cat alone for more than one night. Maybe try and plan a little more and ask a friend to cat sit if you need to be away longer. You could also try to encourage your BF to stay at yours more often.[article="0"][/article]

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly; once in a while is fine, but otherwise no.  He needs regular attention and stimulation.  Bored cats can get themselves into mischief.  Also; what if he should get sick or injured?  

I'm not sure how far your parents and boyfriends are from your apartment; but is there anyone else who could help look in on him from time to time?  Someone who would play with him for a bit?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what Columbine says, when you are with your boyfriend overnight, bring you kitty with you. The way I see it, that would be a 2-fold win. One, if this young man is going to be a part of your life, the two of them will have an opportunity to bond, and YOU will get a better idea as to whether this guy is worthy of you, meaning how is he with your other "significant other " in life, you cat. Like that idea.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with what you have already been told here. One night with plenty of food and water, yes I think that is okay. But even then, I would not do that without someone coming in to check on the cat. Any number of things could happen with a bored cat being alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashesmomma96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a neighbor across the hall who comes in while I'm gone, and I would love to bring him to my boyfriends, but he has two older, very much so larger and territorial cats. Thank you very much, I will start working something better for him.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Columbine's suggestion - get your boyfriend to stay with you occasionally?  You really do need to know how he gets along with your new cat.  And if this is going to become permanent, at some point all three cats will have to learn to live together.

Margret