How Long Is Too Long In A Carrier?

PsychoKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having my place sprayed for bed bugs (yes, it sucks), and they recommend having the cats out of the apartment for 4 hours. I also have a vet appointment for them tomorrow and was considering trying to schedule the exterminator on the same day to avoid extra trips. Would 4-6 hours in their carriers be too long? I'm thinking about just taking them to hang out by the lake with me while the bug people are here. Thanks for any helpful tips! You all are great!

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having my place sprayed for bed bugs (yes, it sucks), and they recommend having the cats out of the apartment for 4 hours. I also have a vet appointment for them tomorrow and was considering trying to schedule the exterminator on the same day to avoid extra trips. Would 4-6 hours in their carriers be too long? I'm thinking about just taking them to hang out by the lake with me while the bug people are here. Thanks for any helpful tips! You all are great!
I would just put some of those puppy pee pads in the bottom in case they have to go to the bathroom along with a little food and water. They should be fine. They might not like it, but they will be fine. It’s for their own good.

Good luck!

arethas mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just put some of those puppy pee pads in the bottom in case they have to go to the bathroom along with a little food and water. They should be fine. They might not like it, but they will be fine. It’s for their own good.

Good luck!

I just thought of something else. If you do go to the vet at the same time, you could always ask if you could board them for a few hours as well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PsychoKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just thought of something else. If you do go to the vet at the same time, you could always ask if you could board them for a few hours as well
Thanks - that's actually a really good idea. Unfortunately the timing did not work out, so gonna have to do 2 separate outings - ugh

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’d go with the vet too if it’s an option. Even if they charge you something, it would probably be worth it to have the peace of mind that they are safe. Shoot, I would probably board them for a day (overnight) at the vet just to make sure the chemicals used for the bedbugs were not lingering. When my house was rented recently, I left the cats at the vet for a fully 24 hours longer then the fumigator recommended. I used hat time to air out the house and clean to make sure no chemical residue was where it would impact them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PsychoKitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’d go with the vet too if it’s an option. Even if they charge you something, it would probably be worth it to have the peace of mind that they are safe. Shoot, I would probably board them for a day (overnight) at the vet just to make sure the chemicals used for the bedbugs were not lingering. When my house was rented recently, I left the cats at the vet for a fully 24 hours longer then the fumigator recommended. I used hat time to air out the house and clean to make sure no chemical residue was where it would impact them.
Yeah, thought about that too (actually thought about staying at a Red Roof in with the kitties, but the vet idea might be cheaper!)