How Long For Predinsolone To Start Helping Ibd?

3catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tiki started on prednisolone after an ultrasound confirmed diffuse thickening of his small intestine, along with inflammation in his liver and pancreas. We had a liver FNA performed, which found a bunch of abnormal stuff, but no specific cause of the inflammation was determined. We have opted not to get an endoscopy/biopsy of his intestine at this time, so we don't know if he has severe IBD or low grade lymphoma with any certainy.

He started on prednisolone 3 days ago, and today he had some of the worst diarrhea he has had in awhile. Should the prednisolone be helping by now if it's IBD? Or is it still too soon to tell? I should mention that he also started on an antibiotic, along with probiotic, so I assume this could have an impact as well. I just wish he could get some relief :( Here's hoping he'll turn the corner soon.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The antibiotic could be the cause of the worsening antibiotic. Often this happens. Are you giving the probiotic at least a few hours separately from the antibiotic? If not, then neither one is working at full capacity, which isnt good.

The only time we needed to use Pred, it started working almost immediately, but it wasn't for IBD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I do give him the probiotic in between antibiotic doses, so about 4-6 hours apart.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First a couple of questions: did your cat have diarrhea prior to starting the antibiotic? Has anything in cat's diet changed? Is this the first time he has been given THIS antibiotic?

Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, some more than others. Also, I have had two cats who had pancreatitis; each time diarrhea was a symptom. Has he had a test for pancreatitis?

Prednisolone will not stop diarrhea. I have had cats with IBD on high doses of Prednisolone that got diarrhea nonetheless.

Diarrhea in cats can be debilitating. They can dehydrate fast. If things don't "firm up" pretty quickly, I would check back with the Vet about a change in antibiotic and also administer some fluids.

3catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi B babiesmom5 . He has had diarrhea on & off for some time prior to the antibiotic, and before starting this round of medication it was one of the "on" times. Nothing in his diet has changed, but this is the first time he has been on this specific antibiotic based on my recollection. It's called metronidazole. I was under the impression that this type of antibiotic, along with the Predn was supposed to help with the diarrhea rather than make it worse. But so far, that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case.

Tiki's ultrasound last week found an abnormal appearance to his pancreas (in addition to the bowel & liver), but they haven't done any other tests directed towards his pancreas. What other tests are available to identify pancreatitis that you recommend?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
A low dose of Metronidazole typically doesn't cause diarrhea; however, all cats react different to medication so it can certainly be the culprit.

What probiotic are you using? FortiFlora? If so, a different probiotic may be more beneficial.

As for the pred...I think it took one of our rescue's kittens about 5-7 days to have a completely normal bowel movement after starting.

honigkatze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty's IBD. I'm just throwing this out there as another suggestion that might help in case you haven't tried it yet. I currently have one cat with this same issue and years ago had 2 elderly cats with IBD. At the time, I was able to control both of the elderly cats IBD with a limited ingredient canned diet. The current cat I have with this issue is doing great on Science Diet's Z/D hydrolyzed protein diet, where she was previously very sick. Most of the time I've found that it's just a food allergy. My vet explained that as with any allergy, even in humans, the whole intestinal tract eventually becomes inflamed and infected if the allergen is continually introduced into the body. It's a simple fix that's worth a try. I hope your kitty recovers quickly and feels better soon :)

3catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Unfortunately, I have tried pumpkin and a limited ingredient diet without success before we started Tiki on these meds. I will check out S. boulardii & slippery elm though, as we haven't tried those yet.

If things don't start improving by the end of the holiday weekend, I'll probably give the vet a call to get his thoughts on what's next.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi B babiesmom5 . He has had diarrhea on & off for some time prior to the antibiotic, and before starting this round of medication it was one of the "on" times. Nothing in his diet has changed, but this is the first time he has been on this specific antibiotic based on my recollection. It's called metronidazole. I was under the impression that this type of antibiotic, along with the Predn was supposed to help with the diarrhea rather than make it worse. But so far, that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case.

Tiki's ultrasound last week found an abnormal appearance to his pancreas (in addition to the bowel & liver), but they haven't done any other tests directed towards his pancreas. What other tests are available to identify pancreatitis that you recommend?
Metronidazole (Flagyl) is often first prescribed FOR diarrhea, so would not cause it. It has a wicked taste, so be sure your cat never bites into it! I was giving Flagyl to one of mine for diarrhea, hidden in a "Pill Pocket". He took it well...until one day he bit into it...awful! From that day on, I could never use a Pill Pocket to administer meds. That said, it takes several days for the Flagyl to reach a therapeutic dose to stop the diarrhea...if it is going to work.

I had another cat with severe diarrhea which was prescribed Proviable. It is both paste and capsules. You give the paste every 8 hrs for 3 days to firm the stool. Then you continue with the capsules which are a probiotic to reestablish healthy intestinal balance. This worked.

There is a SPEC test for Pancreatitis (using a bit of blood) done in the Vet's office, but this can sometimes be unreliable, unless the Pancreatitis at that time is severe enough to "register". A more reliable test is the Serum fPLI which is sent off to Texas A&M University for analysis and takes a few days to get back.

From your description and test results, which coincides with my personal experience, I believe pancreatitis is an issue here. It has also been my experience that when diarrhea is involved, there is an underlying GI issue (IBD/Lymphoma) with the ileum and/or colon. On the other hand, when vomiting is involved, it more likely points to a GI issue (IBD/Lymphoma) in the stomach, duodenum/jejunum.

3catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this info B babiesmom5 . Can you tell me what the treatment options were for your cat(s) when they experienced pancreatitis? Do you think the antibiotic & Pred would make it worse for Tiki if pancreatitis is involved?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this info B babiesmom5 . Can you tell me what the treatment options were for your cat(s) when they experienced pancreatitis? Do you think the antibiotic & Pred would make it worse for Tiki if pancreatitis is involved?
Pancreatitis does not occur in a vacuum. It goes hand-in-hand with a chronic underlying disease such as IBD, Lymphoma, cholangitis, diabetes. It can take an acute form, or it can take a chronic form. I've dealt with both forms. The chronic form was actually the more manageable, unless it turns acute...then you have a real crisis requiring hospitalization.
The first cat diagnosed with IBD (following Ultrasound and endoscopic biopsy), also had pancreatitis, which at that time was not severe. He was put on Flagyl (for diarrhea) and Methylprednisolone, plus Cerenia(anti-nausea med), plus Mirtazapine (appetite stimulant).
So, in answer to your question, the Flagyl and Pred is beneficial for Tiki in that both help to decrease inflammation if pancreatitis is involved.

Bathing the inflamed pancreas in fluids is helpful in decreasing inflammation. This is why diarrhea will exacerbate the symptoms and the cat may need supplemental fluids.

Other than the diarrhea, is Tiki eating well at this time? Inappetence is a hallmark of pancreatitis, both forms, as is lethargy. Mine also sought heat sources; wanted to lay on heating vents. They tend to hide. One actually liked to go downstairs to lay on cold concrete floor...sort of like putting ice on something to dull the pain. Pancreatitis is very painful.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old Emma was recently diagnosed w/ ibd. The flagyl helped in about 5 days. Emma was on it for 10 days total.

Did not do all those tests you have mentioned, and did not use the prednisolone for Emma.

At the same time the vet had me start her on a limited ingredient diet with alternate proteins. She said often the food allergen is the protein. So I am using Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Green Pea and Duck for kibble, and Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Green Pea and Venison for canned. Been about 2 months and things are much much better. Not 100% yet, vet said it will take time.