How long for e-tube site to heal?

jessica1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All!

Quick question (I'll post the longer story  at some point for anyone interested):  After a feeding tube is removed, how long does it take to heal?  It's been a week and I just removed the cone and he scratched it open.  Cats!!!  Love 'em but they sure go out of their way to hurt themselves.  

Just wondering when I can take the cone off.  Bandages don't work for him because he always manages to pull them down as well as pull off (and try to eat) the gauze padding.  It doesn't matter if the vet tech wraps him or I do.  (photos below)

PS: I am a huge advocate for feeding tubes.  It was not difficult to feed him this way (time consuming but got faster with practice, and messy...especially when he was feeling better and would walk away while I was feeding him).  I also loved that I could give him his meds in the tube...because I hate giving cats medicine!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Short version of the story is that I adopted a cat from a shelter and by the next day, he was seriously ill and not eating.  He was diagnosed with a bad upper respiratory infection, and after a few days of not eating, ended up hospitalized and with a tube.  He stayed sick, and none of the diagnostic tests (and there were many) showed a cause.  A week after I adopted him, his leg literally exploded with a ruptured abscess - finally, the cause of his immune system being so destroyed.  After two weeks with tube feeding, he finally started eating again. 

He was given a cone to keep him from scratching the stitches in his leg from the abscess, but I kept him in it because it also kept him from scratching the tube site (which was high on his neck).  he even scratched at it with the tube in place and I was terrified he would rip it out.  Once it started to heal, at the vet's direction, I removed the bandage after a few days (he had managed to tug it off the wound anyway) and he promptly ripped the scab off (two days after it was removed).  A few days later, I tried again and he promptly removed the scab and opened the wound.  Today (8 days after removal), he has done it again!  The difference this time is that things seem to be more healed inside, but now he has pushed open a flap of skin. 

CATS!!! 

Between my roommate and I, we have five...and I think five is plenty.  

Oh...and the vet bills for this cat that I didn't even know yet - over 1600 and that was with a discount from the vet. 

Kato, feeling better. Tube is gone. Weight is coming back.  Twisted into a pretzel.

Handsome boy.  He's gained over a pound back and is looking like a normal,  happy cat.

Little guy is in rough shape, but on the road to recovery.  Vet decided to full wrap his leg (the stitches from the abscess extend from his thigh, past the knee joint.  He had a tough time getting around, but he managed. The bandage on his neck is keeping the feeding tube protected.  He is sleeping with his mouth open as he is still very sick from the URI. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had the same type of feeding tube almost three years ago.  He didn't have any problems.  He didn't even have any type of bandage after it was removed.  I guess I got lucky and he left it alone.  Your poor kitty has had a rough go of it but it sounds like he's on the mend.  That is if he can leave things alone so that he can heal.

gofendi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jessica!
My little girl, Fendi, actually just had her feeding tube out on Monday! (yeah!)
So happy that your little one is on the road to recovery :clap:
Our vet just told us to continuously put the antibiotic ointment on the incision. We've really had to keep an eye on her because she warns to keep scratching at it. We did notice some blood monday evening, but today I noticed that its pretty closed up!
The vet didn't want anything like a bandage or anything on it. I guess to let it "breathe"
I would keep the cone on if you were worried. I hate using the cones, you could just tell how miserable they are to have it on!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had to feed one of our cats with a feeding tube and I remember being suprised at how fast her neck healed when the tube was removed. It only took a couple of days. We were also lucky she didn't scratch at it.
Your little guy's poor leg is a lot for his body to heal and after such a horrible infection, his body is probably feeling a bit run down and working slowly. As long as his neck is healing, making progress and showing no signs of infection, I wouldn't worry :)
Kato is a very handsome guy, I hope he feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessica1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I talked to my vet office today and they said it takes about two weeks to fully heal, longer if he's scratching at it.  So...the cone has to stay.

We had been waiting to fully introduce him to the other cats after his cone is gone, but now that he is feeling better, he seems bored as "bedroom kitty."  So...here goes nothing.  

Have had to deal with some little squabbles and I was woefully unprepared and did not think to trim everyone's claws in advance.  I've got one paw done on the most violent offender and just need to get his squirmy self to settle town for 30 second so I can get the last paw. 

We've had him for a month now, so all the other cats have sniffed him and have had some small introductions.  So, it's time....