How long does the problem of a cat not being able to regulate its body temperature last after it get

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trapped 3 more feral cats last night, & they've been neutered this morning (3 adult males).

Our vet clinic automatically gives a 24 hour acting pain shot,

and advises to keep them in their respective traps until the morning, & to then release where trapped.

Does the affect of not being able to regulate their temperature last after the anesthetic has apparently worn off / they seem to be wide awake?

They'll be coming home in an hour or two, and the lady we borrowed the traps from had planned to start trapping 40 more feral cats tonight,

so I really don't want to keep her traps unnecessarily from her any longer than necessary.

She often uses the same vet --having recommended him to us-- but says that she releases them soon after she picks them up,

as long as they appear normal & healthy . . . whether male or female.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always kept my trapped feral cats in their traps the night after surgery.  Most of mine are still groggy upon bringing them home.  Yet I really want for them to be sure they are fully awake and able to defend themselves.  Also I like for them to have a bite of food if they desire. 

I know some people release as soon as 12 hours after surgery.  I just don't feel comfortable with that plan.  The only alternative would be to have the vet place them into carriers instead of the trap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kept them in their respective traps overnight.  I think --besides the negative effect of the anesthetic on their temperature regulation-- that the pain shot leaves them more likely to do more than they should be doing, so that they should be kept basically immobilized until it wears off.  (This vet automatically gives the 24-hr pain shot to each cat.)  We TNR-ed 3 5 month female kittens a few days before these males, and I kept them overnight in their traps, too.  The owner of the trap didn't say anything about not being able to use those traps while I was using them.  Her main concern is helping the cats,, as  it should be. (: