How Long Does Shedding Take?

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 boys (16 months ish) have just started shedding, slowly in the last week or so but more heavily the last few days.

I'm keeping up with the little tumbleweeds of hair (Just!) But I'm hoping to hear some opinions on how long it takes for them to shed all that winter fluff? Its such a simple question but Google is letting me down and i cant find a good answer! They are shorthairs if that makes a difference :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't have shedding schedules... at least not that I've ever noticed.

I had to write a note to Costco when I was told that the reason the tape lint rollers were not on the shelf was because they were a "seasonal item". In my note I very emphatically asked them just exactly when they thought cats and dogs stopped shedding? The rhetorical answer was that they don't.

Amazingly, the rollers re-appeared on the shelves a few weeks later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boo I was hoping there would be an end to the tumbleweed madness in sight they definitely shed lightly all year but it was manageable...the change in weather where i live has just caused a big increase!
They get brushed every day almost even though they are short haired because they like having it done, luckily...still fur everywhere!!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they indoor only, or indoor/outdoor. I adopted Ruby in November, and didn't really notice a lot of fur shedding till the next spring. Since she'd been an outside stray for a bit, I figured she had a "winter coat" and was doing her spring shed. Now that she's indoor only, it seems as though she sheds constantly. :sigh:

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they indoor only, or indoor/outdoor. I adopted Ruby in November, and didn't really notice a lot of fur shedding till the next spring. Since she'd been an outside stray for a bit, I figured she had a "winter coat" and was doing her spring shed. Now that she's indoor only, it seems as though she sheds constantly. :sigh:
They are indoor only (with balcony access) but my flat doesn't have aircon or proper heating (fun!!!) so there's a definite strong seasonal difference in temperature and humidity even inside... so my theory is that the heat has triggered their *proper* shedding to begin rather than just the occasional bits that I'm used to. I hope so anyway...!! A bit of shedding is okay but this is like living inside a snow globe but with kitty fur!!!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boo I was hoping there would be an end to the tumbleweed madness in sight they definitely shed lightly all year but it was manageable...the change in weather where i live has just caused a big increase!
They get brushed every day almost even though they are short haired because they like having it done, luckily...still fur everywhere!!!!
Try combing them before brushing.

I used to brush my cats, but received advice here tomcomb them first. The comb reaches deeper intomthe fur and helps remove more of the loose fur. The brush only affects the top layer.

My guys shed year round but its much worse in the warm weather. There is a noticeable difference between their winter and summer coats. Once their coats thin out in the summer, the fur sheds less.

Here are greg and arnold, 42 lbs total, to make you feel a bit better about your cats shedding issue. We have 4 vacuum cleaners....but the boys are more than worth it.
20170702_084909.jpg

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try combing them before brushing.

I used to brush my cats, but received advice here tomcomb them first. The comb reaches deeper intomthe fur and helps remove more of the loose fur. The brush only affects the top layer.

My guys shed year round but its much worse in the warm weather. There is a noticeable difference between their winter and summer coats. Once their coats thin out in the summer, the fur sheds less.

Here are greg and arnold, 42 lbs total, to make you feel a bit better about your cats shedding issue. We have 4 vacuum cleaners....but the boys are more than worth it.View attachment 241620
Thanks, will definitely try combing first
Ohhh my gosh they're GORGEOUS but wow, so fluffy! I thought a couple of shorthairs were bad enough! Another kitten just sort of appeared in our lives and moved in 2 weeks ago...shes not got long hair but her fur is a bit longer and fluffier feeling than my boys was as babies. So next year will be even more fun

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do not shed fur seasonally. They might shed more in the spring and summer to cools off a bit. Longhair cats are more likely to do this because they really have extra fluff to get rid of.

Genets plays a role beyond fur length. I had a cat who shed so much year round I could have collected enough to make a rug out of her. Other cats with exactly the same fur texture shed normally.

Last edited:

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your feedback everyone. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...and probably to keep wading through fur til summers over (I live in southern Spain sooo from now until October! ) and invest in a better hoover!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short hair tabby....on and off all year....single hairs spread out all over.
DLH....all year...just drops globs of fur everywhere.
Bobcat....One month or so around April. He'll go from a gray longhair cat to tan very short hair cat in about a month. He goes from looking fat to anorexic.