How Long Does Pro Pectalin Take To Work?

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten suddenly developed a case of the runs on Tuesday the 18th. Leaving a trail type diarrhea and leaving puddles while sleeping. I made a vet appointment for that afternoon. Juan escaped before I got him into the carrier and vanished for parts unknown but I took the stool sample to the vet. The sample was negative but the vet treated it as a parasitic infection, which barn kittens are susceptible to and sent me home with Panacur and Pro Pectalin. He finished the Panacur and still gets the Pro Pectalin.

The diarrhea seemed to have resolved itself until this morning when I found three puddles in the bathroom:barfgreen: . Is it normal for kitten diarrhea to wax and wane like this while taking Pro Pectalin? (or maybe it was the stray peanut that showed up in his poop)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, pro pectalin is kind of like Keopectate for humans, which is an antidiarreal, so I would think it should stop the diarrhea. That being said, it's very possible your little guy has an issue with peanuts, and that certainly can cause diarrhea. I would avoid those in the future if possible.

If the diarrhea doesn't subside, or comes back shortly, then it's possible he has some parasite that the normal lab can't pick up and he may need a PCR test done, but that's a big IF at this point. Or it could even be caused by other foods he's eating. Some cats have food intolerance to even things in many cat foods, even chicken!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Food intolerance is a pain in the backside but I've dealt with that before. I sure hope this clears up ! He's scheduled for neutering on the 4th