How long does meat stay good after defrosting?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long can raw meat be kept (refrigerated of course) and fed safely after it has been defrosted?

Does the original expire date have any bearing?

(detail: Meat defrosts over night in the refrigerator. My fridge is between 30-33 degrees F)

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of the answer to that question involves knowing how long the food was in transit and then sitting on the grocery store shelf before you even picked it up, so I'm not sure I would trust a chart. After buying my products for this long, I know which ones need immediately freezing/feeding and which ones can go a couple of days. Generally-speaking, however, I don't let new foods go for more than two days before I feed or freeze them, and I always feed the same day frozen food is thawed.

AC

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with everyone. If the meat/poultry feels 'slimy', I will forevermore, throw it away.  Just to be safe.  This is especially true if the food was sold at its "good by sale date" date.

Ritz had an episode of vomiting three times in 24 hours, including undigested food 12 hours after she ate it.  Her gut wasn't moving anything in her stomach, so, as the vet explained, the food had to go somewhere--front or back.

Vet blames bad meat (well, of course he would....), but in retrospect, the pork was a little suspicious feeling.

Ritz is now (finally) on pro-biotics (as well as five days of anti-nausea and anti-biotics).

And if Ritz doesn't want to eat a particular protein that I know in the past she loves, maybe she shouldn't eat that particular morsel/batch.  Cat can smell much better than humans.