How long does it truly take for a kitten to start to "like" you?

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys, hope your weekend is going well!

Just out of curiosity, how long does it truly take for a kitten to like you and  seek out  your attention?  I have had this kitten (a siberian) for about 7 weeks now and she is just finally starting to become very affectionate.  I am just curious as to whether this is the norm and if cats always do take more work to form a bond with than a dog.  To say im happy that shes starting to be this way is an understatement.  She used to only come near me of her own volition when she wanted food.  Now she follows me around like a dog and whines like hell if i shut her out of any room.  She also paws at me to pick her up and pet her now and makes it super hard to do work (because she flops right on my chest if I dont give her enough attention haha).  I have to say, in some ways, the work it took to get her to this point makes me appreciate it even more.

Looking  forward to responses!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It totally depends on the kitten or cat.  There isn't any set rule.  Some kittens are immediately affectionate, some take time to warm up to you and some remain aloof their entire lives.  Of course you have a huge impact on that, as you're finding out.  Generally the more affection you give a cat, the more affection they will give you in return.  

My own experience has been primarily with adult cats, although some were pretty young (1-2 years.)   In all cases, they responded to love and affection.  The longer they were with me, the closer we became.   My feeling is that it's really a process that continues the entire time you are together.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys took no time at all bonding with my family and I. They were naturally friendly no matter what has been done wrong to them before adopting them. Miagi was 9 months old when I got him and Tiger was 5. Angel I got when she was a kitten she was supposed to be my parents cat but she bonded to me and I couldn't be happier. :)

It honestly depends on the individual cat - some do ok with change and others take awhile especially if they were stray, feral or abused. It's great she's coming along. I don't think they are harder to bond with than dogs are, some dogs aren't always bonded instantly to their people just like cats. Hope that makes sense. :)

Also there is no time limit, let her go at her own pace. :)

Last edited:

tammyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my "kittens" Zulu, who as a foster fail I've had in my house since literally the day she was born, took 3 years before she decided I was an acceptable member of the household worthy of attention. Her momma and litter mate have been little cuddlebutts since day one, but Zulu took a really, really long time (and quite a bit of socialization work on my part) to basically not suck as a cat. She had all the same experiences as her sister, but just has a completely different personality. Bonding time is going to be different for every cat, just like it's different for every human.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah miine is a bit different too.  Its like her affection is flipping a switch.  One day she was aloof, and the next she was all over.  But her affection comes in waves.  She'll go from wanting to be independent for most of the day, to following me around and whining if i leave her alone.  She also HATED being pet in the beginning, for about the first 5 weeks.  Now, she loves being pet, but only when SHE wants it.  If you try to pet her on your own she runs away.  But a few times a day she'll hop up on your lap or rub against you and want to be pet, then be annoyed if you stop haha.