How Long Does It Take To Train A Kitten To Stop Biting?

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A week ago I adopted a male kitten, Oliver, and am wondering how long it takes to see results from efforts at breaking bad play biting habits. He is 9 weeks-old today.

For Oliver's first two days with me, he occasionally attempted to bite my hands during petting (I never used my hands for play) so I employed the gentle push-back method which worked wonderfully. We were making strides. Unfortunately, it's when I took Oliver to the vet on Day 3 that the biting got worse...

The vet, along with her technician and I, had a play session with Oliver on the floor. It wasn't until the end of the session did I realize the tech was using her hands as toys to play with him!!:eek2: That very evening Oliver morphed into a true biting maniac.

It's been three days now since the biting escalated that I've resumed using the gentle push-back technique. I do not yet see results. While he does indeed stop biting, he'll pause for a moment with ears slightly pinned back (and that crazy dilated pupil look) before he starts again. He's also begun attacking my legs when I'm sleeping, and lunging at my ankles both out in the open and ambush-style.

I've perused other threads about biting but could not find a good time frame for how long it takes to break a kitten of this tendency. Not only that, but how do we know when to move on to other techniques? Could it be the push-back method is no longer working so it's time for something else? Please note that I do not support certain methods of training like spraying with water, nose flicking, yelling, or anything else potentially frightening for a cat, so thank you for not suggesting things like this to me :thumbsup:

I appreciate the help; thank you kindly in advance,

Emm

P.S. I do realize now that Oliver should have stayed home with Momma for a bit longer! Also, I have regular play sessions with him, typically five to six times a day. I offer a varied play routine and rotate toys and activities frequently.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope someone has ideas because my 10 week old kitten it a biter too and the push back method is NOT working. He's also an ankle biter, and an attack the legs in the middle of the night guy. So I feel your pain.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
P.S. I do realize now that Oliver should have stayed home with Momma for a bit longer! Also, I have regular play sessions with him, typically five to six times a day. I offer a varied play routine and rotate toys and activities frequently.
My own cat, Turbo, was the wildest kitten you ever saw - darting around like a misfired rocket, completely turbo. Yet, he never bit or scratched me in this phase, which I find interesting. Not biting is hardly a genetic trait. Therefore, I suppose his Momma took him to task and made him stop biting.

So I wonder, what do cat mothers do to make a kitten behave and stop biting? If we knew, we could try the same method.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens learn bite and scratch inhibition from both their mothers and their littermates. When they play too rough, their littermates will yelp and stop playing. I think the mother scruffs and gives the misbehaving kitten a little shake.

It's easier and safer to use the first method and it works very effectively. With my kitten, every time she bit, I made a low-pitched, short warning sound and immediately stopped playing, petting, or paying any attention to her. I walked away and usually closed myself away in another room for a couple minutes.

After a few times, she learned that biting leads to the end of playtime. It also helps to have some treats in a pocket and reward her when you see that brief moment when she decides to stop herself from biting.

Finally, have a large soft toy around to distract her and let her bite and kick out her frustration.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ardina, I'll try your method.

In the absence of Ardina's mama kitty method, I've found kittens (and pups, and human babies) just learn that biting is not appropriate behavior, though this takes a lot longer than we'd like.

Every young cat I've ever had played rough till they learned to stop.