How long does it take mirataz to work?

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, Nishi is in year three of her IBD diagnosis and has been doing well with budesonide and novel protein foods until about three months ago when she lost interest in novel protein foods. After talking to some folks in my IBD group, I switched her to Fancy Feast and that seemed to really make things better. She saw her vet in November and all of her bloodwork was better than the year before! Plus she wasn't having diarrhea or throwing up. The only thing the vet noted was that she was half a pound lighter than her last visit, but she was right at 9 pounds, which is a good weight for her size.

Fast forward to last week. I woke up to a lot of vomit. That seemed to be a one-day thing, but over the next couple of days, diarrhea reappeared intermittently. I thought we were in an IBD flare up. She wasn't showing as much interest in her food, so I bought some different flavors and started supplementing with Wysong PDG sprinkled on top. That was exciting to her for a couple of days, then less so. I called the vet and made an appointment, but the quickest they could get us in was a week later (this upcoming Thursday). Her weight has really dropped off and when I got home from work last night, I realized she hadn't eaten the food I left in the morning. She didn't go near her food bowl when I put fresh food down. I got some PDG into her via syringe and then let her be. This morning she still wouldn't go near her food bowl, so I took her to the emergency vet.

I really thought it was going to be the end of the road for her, but the staff at the clinic said they think this could be a temporary setback. They gave her an injection of cerenia, one of zofran, one of B12, plus subQ fluids. They sent her home with three more doses of cerenia, for once per day starting tomorrow, and a tube of mirataz to begin using today. She had her first dose of mirataz about 3 1/2 hours ago. How long does it take to see a change? I went ahead and syringed some more PDG into her, but she's still curled up in her bed and doesn't seem like she wants to leave it. I suspect the long morning of poking and prodding was somewhat traumatic, but also I WANT HER TO EAT. You know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The response to Mirataz can vary from cat to cat. My cat doesn't seem to respond for several hours, sometimes not even until the next day, but I give it to her later in the afternoon. Give it some time. The poking and prodding may also have her a bit off her game.

Also, Zofran is not expected to last 24 hours, so they should have given you additional oral doses. The amount per dose can also vary, but my vet has Feeby on 4mg 3 times a day. Cerenia tends to work better for vomiting, Zofran seems to be better with helping with nausea.

Good that you have a follow up appt. albeit days from now.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My experience with Mirataz - it usually kicked in after a few hours. It made my girl a bit more "antsy" too. She'd seem a bit more unsettled but she'd also eat some. We also had to experiment with lots of different types of food to entice her.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tbh, the transdermal Mirtaz didn't seem to work for two of my three cats. Unfortunately the pharma companies are pushing vets to use it as the preferred method. BUT Chewy has mertazapine tablets, which worked WAY better for Nico my GA kitty who had IBD. Maybe that is something you can ask the vet about if the transdermal doesn't work well for her. ❤

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It takes about 4 to 6 hours for Mirataz to work for my cat, but the effect lasts for several days.