How long does it take for Metronidazole to work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave him 100mg twice daily for 6 days. The seventh day was a total failure as i was back to work after some time off and could not stay with him an hour to make sure he ate all of it. Not sure how much Minou weights, but i would say around 13-15 pounds now.
It could very well be food allergies. The problem is, i'm almost sure he eat elsewhere. A neighbor leaves food out for her feral, so he may be eating that too. And it is very cheap stuff. He loves TOTW, hated the I\d can i tried.
I could always try another special kibble if they have some at the store, but the one she showed me today had a bit of grain in it, and that makes no sense either. I dont remember the brand...But they would have to take the TOTW bag for me to be able to buy another brand. I just spent 55$ on that bag.
What is a novel protein based diet?

bellel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a protein that the cat probably hasn't been exposed to like venison, duck, and rabbit. It's novel because most cat food is made with fish, beef, and chicken (chicken is another possible allergen). The biggest brand for novel protein is Royal Canin, but my vet internist said there was a store-bought brand that Tater could eat as well. I will contact her tomorrow and see what brand that was (it's less expensive than the Royale Canin, but almost as good in quality). Right now, Tater is eating dry PV, which is peas and venison, canned PV, and also canned PR (peas and rabbit). I'm trying to find a flavor he likes. He's not totally crazy about any of it, but he is eating it. My cat Pie loves the canned PR! I can't find the canned PD (peas and duck) anywhere without having to buy an entire case and I just want to see if he'll eat it. It is very possible that the food your neighbor is feeding her feral is making him sick if it's the cheap stuff.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember Pixie was not keen on duck or rabbit. Hopefully Minou will be.
Did you get that brand name?

bellel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she wasn't in today. I will call on Monday and find out. How is everything going?

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good i think. Started the second round of fenben and i discovered he REALLY likes tuna so it much easier to get him to take it.
He stayed overnight for the first time, from 8pm till 6am, and did not poop once. He he has stayed in for a few hours before without pooping and it doesnt seem to have the urgency of parasite infestation. Probably food allergies...