How long does it take for a cat's swollen eye to heal?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

One of the stray cat that I'm feeding was found with eye injury on Tuesday. I brought him to the vet and doctor mentioned that as there's scratch mark on his eyelid, she thinks that it could be due to cat fight. There's no injury to the eyeball, just the eyelid. She prescribed him an antibiotic ointment to be applied to his eyeball and eyelid twice a day for two weeks.

It's Thursday now but it seems as if his eye is still swollen 😔 there's no more watery discharge or any other discharge but he's still squinting his eye and his upper and lower eyelid still seems swollen. I'm fostering him till he recover from the injury. Any idea how long before the swelling goes down?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not clear, did the vet give any information about the length of time?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have misunderstood but what i got from your post is that it has been 2 days since he saw the vet and the vet gave meds that need to be given twice a day for 2 weeks I doubt you would see any improvement at this time.. I would continue monitoring his eye. And contact the vet if it gets worse.

Now did the vet say you should see improvement within a time limit? If so and you have hit that time line then you can call and speak with the vet.

If in general you are still concerned about how his eye looks you can take a picture send it to your vet and see what they recommend? I'm sorry I don't have better suggestions for you.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible that he is traumatizing the eye when you aren't looking. He can cause it further damage by scratching at it. He may need to wear a cone until it heals.
The way it looks in that picture isn't good. I would send the vet a picture.

Do you know the name of the medication they prescribed for him?