How long does it take Depo Medrol to work for Stomatitis etc?

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie has a flare up of Stomatitis. He received a shot yesterday evening. How long does it usually take to work so he can eat comfortably again? It has been so long since he had a flare up , I forgot. :(

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's been a while for me, too, but I vaguely remember it worked fairly quickly within a day or two. How often has he had to have the shot? I also found that after a while each shot was less effective, or the effect lasted a shorter time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post! I have no experience with this, but recall reading some previous posts where it generally takes about 24 hours or so to start to see some relief. I also saw where some members ended up getting pain meds to accompany the Depo for a bit of immediate relief.

Oops - just saw that GoldyCat GoldyCat responded! Hope others with experience will also respond soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a while for me, too, but I vaguely remember it worked fairly quickly within a day or two. How often has he had to have the shot? I also found that after a while each shot was less effective, or the effect lasted a shorter time.
Charlie is a cat that has done really well with the Depo. I got him around 5 or 6 years ago and together we have been battling his Stomatitis. For the past couple of years he has done really well. In the beginning he got Depo so regularly that we decided that I could be trained to just give it to him at home. That way I would not need to drag him out to the vet every time he needed it. Plus, it was rather costly to do so. He has had a few extractions, the last being a couple years ago. That mouth thing they do when they are getting a flare up.... Oh I hate that mouth thing they do.... He started doing it about a week ago and I could not really see any issue in his mouth. Apparently, Stomatitis can sometimes even affect the throat which is actually where the problem is this time. Took him to the vet and he got his shot. Immediately after he was asking to eat. He did with some difficulty. And it persisted until when I made the first post. Almost 2 days later and he is now eating more with less difficulty. Drinking lots of water. I am glad to see improvement, but not yet a complete recovery from symptoms yet. One thing I have not noticed is that Depo decreased in effect over a shorter time. The only time that occurred was when he had actual fragments emerging from the gums which he needed to have removed.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post! I have no experience with this, but recall reading some previous posts where it generally takes about 24 hours or so to start to see some relief. I also saw where some members ended up getting pain meds to accompany the Depo for a bit of immediate relief.

Oops - just saw that GoldyCat GoldyCat responded! Hope others with experience will also respond soon!!
Yes. Almost immediately he asked to eat. But for 24 hours he ate with some difficulty. Now he has less difficulty and is eating a little better. If memory serves me correctly, by the end of the week I am hoping all symptoms to be relieved.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually give meds a good 48-72 hours to kick in fully.
Thank you. He is improved. But I can still see him struggling with swallowing. However, eating and drinking pretty well right now. I'd like to see him fully recover.