How long does clumping cat litter take to clump?

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Evening all,

I'm trying out this clumping cat litter:

It's sillica not clay and no, I don't know why they thought bright blue was a good idea.

I usually use crystal but one of the trays needs to be in the bathroom and it isn't that effective with all the humidity so I thought I'd try this.

Generally how long do you have to wait to tidy up some wee? I just tried to pick up a clump and it all fell apart and went everywhere.

Are there any particular tricks I need to know, or has anyone tried this brand and has a review? I'm worried about the smell.

This is the first time I've used clumping litter so I'm fairly clueless.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clumping litter should clump pretty much immediately, so it sounds like maybe that litter is not very good. I've actually never heard of silica clumping litter, so maybe it's not very popular for a good reason?

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had excellent results with Fresh Step Odor Shield clumping cat litter. No odor and no falling apart when I scoop. Be sure there is enough litter in the box for adequate coverage--2 to 2 and a half inches.Scooping tWice a day is adequate.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Molly92. Clumping litter should clump right away and be a solid clump. I've used some brands that fell apart when you picked up the clumps, and I stopped using them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was the problem, the clumps fell apart. It appears that if I'm gentler with it and don't scoop soon after it's been used it appears to be fine.

Thanks for the recommendation but there aren't many American brands available here.

Now my problem is they've discovered how fun it is to fling it about, the little buggers.

These are my first indoor cats so this is all new to me.