How long do you need to quarantine new stuff before bringing it into your home?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As germ-phobic as I am, I just bring stuff in, and wash my hands immediately afterwards. Most of the stuff is mail, so I wear gloves to get it. I can't really wait to open the items, as they are things for making masks. I made 40 for to give to my neighbors (for free). Some are essential workers, and mentioned after the masks were gone that they don't have anything to use, so I made a few more just for them. I'm now making them for a nursing home and a hospital, and they are begging for anything we can give them. Neighbors have been leaving bags of fabric and ELASTIC!!! :hyper: (you can't get it in the stores; I bought mine on eBay, and ran out yesterday) on my porch. I'll glove up, and bring them in, and put them in the washing machine right away--I have to do that anyway to pre-shrink the fabric.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, gosh, I wish we had enough disinfectants on hand to be able to wipe everything down like that! For now, I guess I'll just have to live vicariously though you and others. :wink:
I could never find clorox wipes or any other disinfectant and don't really want to use some of them because of the cats. I guess from what I've been hearing, regular soap works just as well. We had some Safeguard bar soap around, so I've been using that to wipe things down with. I do have a little bleach left and used that last time I got groceries. The garage is filled with boxes and bags that I've taken stuff out of after suitable quarantine (at least 48 hours or until I feel safe opening and bringing the stuff in). I really hate this because I always feel like I haven't taken enough precautions