How Long Do Ringworm Spores Survive On Fabric?

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a fantastic cat tree that was used by a kitty with ringworm 2+ years ago. I no longer have cats and would love for someone to be able to use it but I certainly wouldn't want to give my friend's cats that dreaded fungus. Any idea if it's safe to use?

Thanks,

Kelly

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I understand, the spores can survive in the environment for at least 18 months. If it were me then I would be cautious.

This is a useful article on ringworm in general , but for the cleaning I'd go for either:
1 An anti-fungal spray then keep the scratcher well away from your cats until the spray has had a chance to clear,
or
2. My preferred and less toxic choice of using white household vinegar. It works on fungal spores generally, including ringworm. Dilute white household vinegar with an equal portion of water and mix well in a spray. Then thoroughly soak your cat tree all over - wood, sizal or rope, fabric areas alike. Let it dry naturally and once the vinegar odour has faded you should be good to go. :D
Unlike most things including anti-fungal chemical sprays the vinegar actually penetrates surfaces including wood so it's really useful. I had to use it on a different fungal infestation in my apartment a few years back and it was amazing - cleared the fungal spores from wood, seagrass and banana leaf furnishing without making me feel like it was going to kill me at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! The vinegar sounds like a great idea. It's been well over 18 months but still, after contracting ringworm myself from the kitty and spending WAY too much money trying to get her well, I wouldn't want to pass it around. I'd be ok if it were my own cat because I really think it's fairly benign at this point but I don't plan on getting a kitty anytime soon and the tree just sits there unused.