How long can an open can of food last?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering since I've tried buying some larger cans of food that are spread between two meals. Although my cats like having a variety and sometimes are less enthusiastic about eating the same food twice in a row, so can the wet food be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours before feeding? For example, if the can is opened one morning and feed the rest the next morning? Thanks!

Also, I bought some kitten specific wet food because it was on sale, and fed the kittens that and my adult cat a non-kitten one. They all started at their own plate, but my back was turned for a couple seconds... next thing I know the kittens are at Isabelle's plate and Isabelle is eating the kitten food. Not sure if the kittens advanced first or what, haha, but they just didn't seem as interested in the kitten food. Other than higher calories/weight gain, would this be a worry for Isabelle? I already monitor Isabelle's weight to keep it within a healthy range. It would only be maybe 2-4 meals a week that the kitten specific food is fed, since the food gets rotated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
so can the wet food be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours before feeding? For example, if the can is opened one morning and feed the rest the next morning?
A can / pouch is good for up to 3 days if stored in the fridge :) Pet stores sell lids for cans or you can just transfer the food into a food storage container.

Canned / wet food can also be frozen.

Also, I bought some kitten specific wet food because it was on sale, and fed the kittens that and my adult cat a non-kitten one. They all started at their own plate, but my back was turned for a couple seconds... next thing I know the kittens are at Isabelle's plate and Isabelle is eating the kitten food. Not sure if the kittens advanced first or what, haha, but they just didn't seem as interested in the kitten food. Other than higher calories/weight gain, would this be a worry for Isabelle? I already monitor Isabelle's weight to keep it within a healthy range. It would only be maybe 2-4 meals a week that the kitten specific food is fed, since the food gets rotated.

It's fine :) Ideally kittens should eat kitten specific food but the occasional sneak of adult food is fine. You may want to consider feeding the cats an "all life stages" food so it won't matter who eats what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fine :) Ideally kittens should eat kitten specific food but the occasional sneak of adult food is fine. You may want to consider feeding the cats an "all life stages" food so it won't matter who eats what.

Great, thank you for the information! Their dry food is kitten food, but I've been feeding them regular wet food... It looks like the Friskies says for both cat and kitten on the can. I have that and a few "better" quality brands that people have posted great sales for, but they do not seem to say for both. Which brands typically have the "all life stages?'" I used to feed just FF, but it just hasn't been on sale cheap enough lately to stock up.

Also, the dry food has been Purina kitten cat chow, but have looked at the ingredients since others have said that is not the best and have been thinking of getting something else. The shelter gave me coupons for 2 free bags and was what they fed, so I started with that, and the second bag is almost gone. What dry kitten foods are good on a budget? Thank you!