How long before slippery elm works?

Feelyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all! Been lurking for a while, and have found so much useful info on this site.

I am giving seb syrup for (alleged) ibs to my 15 year old baby boy. The symptoms are bilious vomiting, mild constipation, and lowered appetite. Vet blood work and urine was all normal. I've been able to get ahead of things a bit by giving miralax 2x day, which is producing awesome doodies, frequent, small meals, fortiflora, extra water in his food, and recently, Ive added in seb syrup, 4x day.

We went 3 days without him vomiting, which is a new record. His mood is improved, and in many ways, I can see him coming back to his former self.

Question...as we just started the seb 4 days ago, does it take some time to fully heal him? I was dejected he had a bile barf today, but maybe its normal to have these small set backs at first?

Thank you!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with seb. But, yes, it can take weeks or months to heal inflammation. 4 days is not nearly long enough. Keep doing what you're doing as long as things are better than they were. With time, the period between incidents should grow longer and hopefully disappear. I'm not familiar with IBS. I can't tell you if there is such a thing as "fully healed". But your setbacks should become rarer over time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have been reading a lot about slippery elm for my cat, Feeby, who appears to have early CKD, and is demonstrating signs of intermittent inappetence and possibly some nausea. From what I know, SEB is not a cure to anything. It is an herb that is used to reduce inappetence, nausea, and/or vomiting and the effects of various other symptoms brought on by an underlying disease, such as IBS or CKD. While it will clear up mouth sores that sometimes accompany these diseases, and reduce inflammation in the digestive tract, it will not stop it from recurring or flaring up, especially if you stop SEB. So, since it seems to be working for your cat, and while you should see some level of continued improvement over more time (less inflammation due to consistent use of SEB), it is likely going to be a life long treatment to keep your cat's symptoms at a minimum.

If you continue to see bile barfs, make a note of when they are happening and check how they correlate to the timing of the doses of SEB; you may need to adjust one or more of them accordingly.