How long before he should be eating?

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, Rowan was neutered today. He was bilaterally cryptorchid, so it was an invasive procedure.

He started waking up from anesthesia around 2:30, but it's 9:15 now and he isn't interested at all in food... and he hasn't eaten in 24 hours. He looks so skinny with his belly shaven, and I'm getting worried. How long before he should be eating?

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had my cat spayed, I was instructed not to feed her until the next day. A little bit of water before bed, but nothing else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.... the fiancee and I heard two different sets of instructions. I interpreted it that he was allowed to eat after 8 PM the day of the surgery, but he thought it was for 8 AM the next morning, with some water before if he got thirsty.

I guess I could go stick him back in the bedroom, where there isn't food lying about, but I picked him up earlier and he yowled like he was in a lot of pain. Maybe he'll lie back down on a pillow that I can pick up.

I feel so bad about causing him so much pain, even though I know that it's good for him in th elong and short run.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
When uncertain about post-op instructions or anything else related to the operation, the best thing to do is call your vet. Different vets may use different anaesthetics and follow different procedures, so only your vet can tell you what's right and what's wrong when it comes to Rowan.

Let us know how he's doing and kudos on getting him spayed!