How long are zoomies supposed to go for?

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Humphrey has been zooming non stop since this morning at 8am, its now midday.
There'd be intervals where he'd take a small break but then off he goes shooting across the room, darting and pouncing on his tunnel and his toys. How long are zoomies supposed to go for? If they go too long does that mean there's something wrong with the cat/behavioural issues?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Humphrey has been zooming non stop since this morning at 8am, its now midday.
There'd be intervals where he'd take a small break but then off he goes shooting across the room, darting and pouncing on his tunnel and his toys. How long are zoomies supposed to go for? If they go too long does that mean there's something wrong with the cat/behavioural issues?
Lila used to get zoomies that lasted hours with short intermissions. I loved every second of it, and now that she's going on 9 I miss it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lila used to get zoomies that lasted hours with short intermissions. I loved every second of it, and now that she's going on 9 I miss it!
wow cannot relate at all lol, can't wait for humphrey to be an old cat who just wants to sleep and cuddle.This kitten energy is draining to me esp when im trying to work from home !!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wow cannot relate at all lol, can't wait for humphrey to be an old cat who just wants to sleep and cuddle.This kitten energy is draining to me esp when im trying to work from home !!
I can see how working from home could make things a little more distracting!
Have you tried using cat music or calming treats, or maybe a feliway diffuser?

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can see how working from home could make things a little more distracting!
Have you tried using cat music or calming treats, or maybe a feliway diffuser?
none of them work! but i appreciate the suggestion

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
none of them work! but i appreciate the suggestion
Other members might have some suggestions too. Kittens are like toddlers, they're into everything all the time, but it doesn't last forever!

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other members might have some suggestions too. Kittens are like toddlers, they're into everything all the time, but it doesn't last forever!
Thank god! He's calmed down now.. finally i can have some peace, haha.He'll turn 1 at the end of this month, hoping here's to more calm days ahead

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Koshka woke me up with the zoomies this morning at 4am, and she’s going on ten. She usually only does it once or maybe twice a day now, that I’m aware. If you are able, give him a good long play session before you start work. Wearing him out several times a day will definitely cut down on the zoomies. They just need to get that energy out.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Play, including play that doesn't have to be with you specifically will keep zoomies to a minimum or shorter.

Lots of enrichment and activities that you rotate through can be helpful. Sticking to a general schedule will help over time.

Best thing that worked the most was getting a friend for our young cat. He's 3 next month and still has kitten energy. Out-runs the other younger cat.