How Long After Surgery Can My Cat Be Allowed To Play?

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my 6 month old kitten spayed nearly a week ago (Friday the 17th)
She was given a cone which the vet says he has to wear for two weeks.
For most of the time I had confined her to a spare bedroom. However I think she was going stir-crazy being confined to one room for too long so the past couple of days I let her out and wander around the house supervised for short periods of time.
Since the surgery I had gone around and picked up all her toys and put them away. I was concerned that all that playing and running around might put her at risk of opening up her sutures are banging into something or getting caught in something because of the cone and hurting herself. This morning she managed to find one of her toys that I must have missed. It happens to be one of her favorites. It's a soft pom pom ball that she loves to play fetch with.
So is it safe to allow her to play and be active now.
Thank you

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is her incision nearly healed? If so, and she's not showing signs of pain, she should be fine. We don't use e-collars or take away the toys of newly spayed/neutered kittens at the shelter, but we check their incisions every day and cover an incision with elastic gauze wrap if a kitten/cat is "worrying" it, that is, chewing the stitches or licking the incision excessively. We do discourage climbing by temporarily removing high cat trees and occasionally separate very rambunctious kittens, but that's about it, other than painkillers the first week.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my first cat was spayed over 30 years ago, I was told to 'keep her from jumping' for a while, and I panicked as there was no room in my house where she couldn't jump if she wanted to.

I called a friend who was an experienced cat person, and she told me, "Don't worry; cats take excellent care of themselves, and she will not do anything that will harm her."

My friend was right. My girl gradually increased her activity as she healed and was fine.