How long after a cerenia injection should a cat start having an appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoctisTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long after a cerenia injection should a cat start having an appetite? I thought my cat would perk back up again and start eating. He drank some water after coming home from the vet but he is still not interested in food. It's been about 4 and half hours since the shot and he's still looking sad as ever.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally about 2 hours. Now, if your cat has a slow metabolism, it could take longer, but I'd give your vet a call and let them know that there has been no increase in appetite yet. Are you syringe-feeding him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NoctisTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They just closed :sigh:.

No I wasn't planning to. Should I be? I asked the vet if I should be giving him any sort of special food. I was thinking maybe he should have wet food instead of dry. She said no and that he can go right to eating his normal food?

He was also prescribed omeprazole for a week.

He was vomiting bile since yesterday afternoon and before taking him to the vet this morning. X-rays showed everything was fine though and there was no obstruction or anything.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once a cat has gone 72 hours with no food, they are in danger of developing hepatic lipidosis, also called "fatty liver disease," which is potentially fatal. So if you are nearing that mark, yes, begin syringe-feeding several SMALL meals a day. Buy a pate-style (paste, no shreds or chunks) canned food, and mix with water until thin enough to draw into a needle-less syringe. Insert the tip into the cat's mouth, between the cheek and gum, and SLOWLY inject food, "bite" by "bite," allowing for swallowing between times. And give your vet a call in the morning, first thing.

The good news is that the xrays didn't show any large masses! Did they do bloodwork?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cerenia depresses appetite in some cats. You may ask your vet tomorrow if there is a different anti-nausea medication you can try. Or nausea may not be the issue. Or you may need an appetite stimulant. Call your vet tomorrow to discuss this as well.

NoctisTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once a cat has gone 72 hours with no food, they are in danger of developing hepatic lipidosis, also called "fatty liver disease," which is potentially fatal. So if you are nearing that mark, yes, begin syringe-feeding several SMALL meals a day. Buy a pate-style (paste, no shreds or chunks) canned food, and mix with water until thin enough to draw into a needle-less syringe. Insert the tip into the cat's mouth, between the cheek and gum, and SLOWLY inject food, "bite" by "bite," allowing for swallowing between times. And give your vet a call in the morning, first thing.

The good news is that the xrays didn't show any large masses! Did they do bloodwork?
Ok I'll make sure to do that! Thanks! He did bloodwork on Friday when we first took him to vet and everything was normal. Today at the vet he didn't have any done.

Here is the backstory. He first puked a ton of hairball, food, and a piece of a foam toy on Thursday. The bloodwork and xray from that Friday visit was all normal. He actually got better on Saturday and was a eating again and starting to act normal then yesterday (Sunday) he started puking but this time it was bile. So we took him to the vet again this morning. He's urinated and everything and he drinks water still.

I just feel so bad for him. He's a very social cat and is always so happy and playful. He's only 2 years old.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby! And foam toys are so rough because they do NOT show up on xrays most of the time!

NoctisTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor baby! And foam toys are so rough because they do NOT show up on xrays most of the time!
Yeah. My husband and I had to put him down yesterday morning. He got so much worse after the shot. I just feel so horrible 😭. Maybe there was more of the toy in his stomach I don't know b/c his x rays looked fine. I really loved him and feel so guilty now. Both me and my husband do. Dealing with this loss is sooooo hard! He was my most favorite cat 😔

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
N NoctisTheCat the team at TCS is so very sorry for your loss. We understand how guilt is often something we feel, but it truly wasn't your fault.. just a terrible accident.
We lock threads after a cat has passed, out of respect. You might find starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum may help the healing process.

..........................................................................RIP little one
..................................................................... :greenpaw: 🌷 :rbheart: 🌷 :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.