How important is it really for indoor cats to get heart worm/flea medications monthly?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The apple cider vinegar spray looks promising, except don't cats hate vinegar? Won't he likely stop grooming himself?   Or, how about ingesting the vinegar if he does groom, harmful or no? 

I just whipped up a batch and put it in a spray bottle; it's still mighty strong smelling even diluted. 
Well, the mix needs to be strong enough to be effective. Once the spray gets absorbed into the fur, the smell usually neutralizes fairly readily. I have not had a problem with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar preventing my cats from grooming, but I suppose some cats may object to it. 

Apple Cider Vinegar is not toxic to cats, and in small doses, has been used as an occasional tonic and to relieve constipation.
  No harm in trying it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very interesting discussion - although it seems to be focusing on OTC products and such. My thing is that each time I bring a cat to the vet (and they are both due for check ups) they become very insistent on putting something on their neck for Fleas and Heartworms and I'm sort of made to feel like a poor guardian if I refuse it (which, of course, I can). So I'm kind of feeling this all out to assuage that feeling and find the strength to say no.

Of course if I ever see a mosquito in my condo I'll make an exception (as I've already decided no sunning on my balcony).

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Very interesting discussion - although it seems to be focusing on OTC products and such. My thing is that each time I bring a cat to the vet (and they are both due for check ups) they become very insistent on putting something on their neck for Fleas and Heartworms and I'm sort of made to feel like a poor guardian if I refuse it (which, of course, I can). So I'm kind of feeling this all out to assuage that feeling and find the strength to say no.

Of course if I ever see a mosquito in my condo I'll make an exception (as I've already decided no sunning on my balcony).
Yes, I know the feeling .. I have been there standing in front of a vet and vet tech, being told that my cats need vaccinations every year or else I am putting their health in jeopardy.
  This was a problem with a previous vet. My current vets all know my opinion about vaccinations and flea treatments and there is no pressure, so long as I have made an informed choice. I know that in my area, there is no heart worm as we have had the conversation about this, and I think if you can establish what the prevalence for heart worm is in your area, the decision becomes much easier. If it helps, take a copy of the Mercola article with you to your vets when you go in next. It might help to open up a dialogue in discussing options and result in a better understanding between you and your vet regarding what is or isn't necessary.

Last edited:

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, the mix needs to be strong enough to be effective. Once the spray gets absorbed into the fur, the smell usually neutralizes fairly readily. I have not had a problem with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar preventing my cats from grooming, but I suppose some cats may object to it. 

Apple Cider Vinegar is not toxic to cats, and in small doses, has been used as an occasional tonic and to relieve constipation.
  No harm in trying it out.
Sounds good to me.  Well, I'm going to give it a shot come mosquito season.  I don't mind reapplying once per week as per homebrew instructions.  Should I rub him down everywhere? Or where do mosquitoes usually bite? 

I'll call around though first to find out what the heart-worm prevalence is in my area.