How Important Is It For A Kitten To Socialize?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can I would adopt the kitten out at 4 months or at 12 weeks to someone who already has a cat. They say it is best for the kitten to stay with their mom for the first 3 months.

I get why your mom is hesitant to have any more cats (why she didn’t have them fixed, I have no idea since a pregnant cat is an obvious consequence to not spaying your cat.) There are many low cost spay & neuter clinics. Just google your county & state plus ‘low cost spay & neuter clinic’. My local clinic does it for 40$. Plus spaying your cat means you do not have to deal with your cat going through heat/trying to escape/the yowling (neutering boys helps them not try to escape all the time, less desire to roam & they will not constantly be getting into fights to claim territory.) Be sure to tell whoever adopts your girl about the clinic and that female kittens can go into heat as young as 4 months. So girls need to be spayed by their 4th month & boys by their 5th. You (or your mom) canstart calling no killshelters to see if they will take the kitten when she is weaned be sure to call your vet to say you have a kitten in need of a good home and do they know of anyone that is looking (when you get to point of adoption we can help you with that.)

* have everyone that visits your home give her treats/play with her
* my rules for little kids when it came to the kittens (now teens but the rules still apply) are:
1) Do not pick up the kittens!
2) Toys not hands. Use a wand toy or throw a small toy.

:goodluck:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He won't dare touch the mama cat cuz he's always afraid of her unless she's in heat.
Yes, but she could have a silent heat and they could mate before you even notice. So don't let them be together.

You're planning to keep the kitten, right? That's fine. Just be sure to have her spayed before she's 4-5 months old so there aren't any more accidents.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops sorry I thought you were putting her up for adoption. I have no problem with you keeping her! (In fact I think it is sweet!)

Just be sure to get her (& mom) spayed before you have a houseful of dozens of cats ;)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you give me your city and state I will find a low-cost spay clinic in your area for you. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
If you give me your city and state I will find a low-cost spay clinic in your area for you. :)
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia but I think we got that part covered so no worries :)

Oops sorry I thought you were putting her up for adoption. I have no problem with you keeping her! (In fact I think it is sweet!)

Just be sure to get her (& mom) spayed before you have a houseful of dozens of cats ;)
Don't worry I will get her spayed soon :) One kitty is enough for my family hehe

Yes, but she could have a silent heat and they could mate before you even notice. So don't let them be together.

You're planning to keep the kitten, right? That's fine. Just be sure to have her spayed before she's 4-5 months old so there aren't any more accidents.
Yeah i've been keeping them apart from each other