How Important Is It For A Kitten To Socialize?

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was wondering about how important it is for a cat to socialize? Because I've heard about it in some kitten videos but did not really pay attention to it but now that one of my kitties died, there is only 1 kitten left from my mama cat's litter. I only have 2 other cats in my house including the mom and another male cat who's around 1 year old but he's sweet, gentle and scared of every other cat/baby kittens. So there would be no other cats to play with my kitty and if she doesn't socialize with other kitties, will it kind of maybe affect her personality? Because the I raised my momma cat since she was a kitty and now she's not that affectionate to me or anyone but she does tolerate being carried and she favors my mom and dad. But if it does affect the kitties personality, is there anyway we can help her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Kittens who are taken from, or lose, their mother too early can sometimes turn into cats with a lot of rough edges to their personalities and attitudes.

Let the kitten stay with its mom as long as possible (some advise as long as 12 weeks) so it learns how to be a cat as well as gets some training in acceptable behavior, catwise, and play with it and love on it, talk to it. All of this said, there's no way to know if the kitten will grow up to be outgoing or quiet, but with this approach you'll have given it the best chance at becoming a well balanced cat :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the kitten will be living with me and her momma so they can be together as long as they want to xD but my momma cat doesn't exactly do 'fun'

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Felix, was taken away at 4 weeks old. At the time, I was only 12 years old and had no clue about socalization. Therefore, he has always been aggressive with strangers. But he tolerates them. It hasn't been a very big issue because family visits often so he remembers them. They are gentle with him so he associates them with good things.

He's also gotten used to the outdoors again and he gets along well with other animals. I think it depends on the cat.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Well my momma was cat was really playful when she was a kitty and she loved being hugged and she actually liked sitting on the sofa. But I guess when they get older cats do get lazier I guess but she doesn't even exercise to maybe run and chase a ball I throw. She just looks at them weirdly. Also now she isn't fond of sofa's idk why and doesn't like any cat beds or human beds except for my parents's bed cuz she loves them the most.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Single mother-raised kittens do sometimes end up a little bit odd from lack of same-age playmates, but they're usually fairly well-adjusted because their mother taight them how to be a proper cat. But those raised without any cat interaction usually have significant social issues. So I think your kitty will be fine! Her mom will teach her what she needs to know.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
I do hope so! But I'm just a little bit worried cuz this is the momma cats first litter and she really is helpless sometimes. I mostly stimulate the kitty so she can pee/poo bc the mom doesn't really do it all the time. But she does give the kitty little showers and she tried to pick the kitty up if she wanders too far from the nest but she has trouble picking her up by the scruff so usually just help her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten will be fine though but she might appreciate a playmate. If you wind up doing supplemental feedings (it sounds like mom might not have much mama cat experience..... so she might need help) then you might consider fostering a kitten(s). However fostering is tiring, so a buddy when she hits 12 weeks would be easiest (if you are open/wanting to keep 2 kittens.)

Either way I would socialize your kitten(s) with as many people/kids as you can. When she is old enough she can get treats and play from every visitor. I’m still amazed how well my three kittens/teens are with my little niece & nephew.

Take lots of pictures/videos :camera: they grow up so fast!!!

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I do give extra goat milk to her but rarely tho because she seems to be nursing on the mama a lot. I only give it to her when I can't find the mama and the kitty keeps meowing for her.

I don't know if my parents are open to either adopt/foster another kitten with how everyones busy and all that. But really, I'm pretty my mom just doesn't want any other cats lingering in our house for a while.

I'll try to socialize my kitten with my cousins cuz I have about 8 and their ages are around like 8-14 so that oughta be fine I hope.

I have a whole album for all my cats so I can look back at them one day when I grow up and so I won't ever forget them :)

Here's a picture of the kitten btw S__7856130.jpg

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's always ideal for any young puppy or kitten to be around other animals growing up. One of my cats I got at 3 weeks old and he was not raised around other cats at all. Granted he doesn't LOVE other animals he definitely tolerates their presence. I have one other cat and a pitbull he is not scared of. You definitely want to expose a young kitten to as many new experiences as possible to make them more tolerant. I attached a picture of my chubbs.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty will be fine as long as it stays with its mother for a few more weeks, so the mama cat can teach her baby how to be a cat, just like human mothers teach their kids how to behave. :)

I recommend that you please spay/neuter the mama cat and any other adult cats in the house as soon as you can.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have neutered my male cat but we're afraid of spaying the mama too fast. Should we wait until the kitty no longer needs the mama anymore or is it ok to do it while the kitty still nurses on the mom.

I think it's always ideal for any young puppy or kitten to be around other animals growing up. One of my cats I got at 3 weeks old and he was not raised around other cats at all. Granted he doesn't LOVE other animals he definitely tolerates their presence. I have one other cat and a pitbull he is not scared of. You definitely want to expose a young kitten to as many new experiences as possible to make them more tolerant. I attached a picture of my chubbs.
Ur cat is so cuteee but his face looks so mean it's funny :) I'll try to let my adult male cat interact with the kitten once she gets older but he's scared of everything and probably won't bother to come close

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have neutered my male cat but we're afraid of spaying the mama too fast. Should we wait until the kitty no longer needs the mama anymore or is it ok to do it while the kitty still nurses on the mom.

Ur cat is so cuteee but his face looks so mean it's funny :) I'll try to let my adult male cat interact with the kitten once she gets older but he's scared of everything and probably won't bother to come close

I would wait until the kittens are completely weaned from the mother to get her spayed. You could also consult with your vet to see what time frame they recommend. The only problem is you definitely want to get her on lock down inside only. Cats can become pregnant again very quickly so you don't want more buns in the oven!

It will probably take at least a few weeks of consistent exposure for him to get used to the kitten. I wouldn't get discouraged. The main thing is for them to have positive experiences with each other to decrease the fear. Toys...food...etc.

Yeah we jokingly call him grumpy cat sometimes. He is like an evil genius like pinky and the brain. He's the brain and my other cat is pinky lol. He opens door knobs and is always plotting his next move. This picture makes him look a little sweeter. Haha.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can keep your mama cat completely inside and away from intact males, she should be spayed when the baby is 8 weeks old. If she’s still going outside, I would move up the date.

When was your male neutered? He may still be fertile for up to a month.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
He was neutered like yesterday, but something surprised me. My male cat went inside my parents room which is where the mama cat and baby is. Normally he doesn't bother to do anything with the kitten cuz he's kinda scared of her but I think he tried to rape her in a way. He kept coming close and did that little yowl and tried to grab her by the scruff but my dad picked him up and put him out of the room. Is there an explanation for this cuz this kitty is only 3 weeks old and like i'm pretty mad at him for doing this. So are my parents and I didn't have an explanation for them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The male is still fertile (it takes at least 2 weeks, possibly up to 4 weeks, for the sperm to clear the tubes) and should be kept away from the mama and babies. Do NOT allow him near the small babies! Males don't have the maternal instinct so some think the babies are prey. Since he already seemed to not realize that was a baby kitty, keep him away until the babies are big enough to jump and play and run away, and even then keep a close eye on him.

Don't be mad at him, it's nature.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not too mad at him but my parents are. I dont think my cat sees other kittens as prey cuz he never hisses or does that crazy yowl when cats are about to fight. He just sniffs and runs away. He won't dare touch the mama cat cuz he's always afraid of her unless she's in heat.

Last edited: