How I "home" my feral kitties!

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly I
them feral kitties!

Tell me if I have an ok situation for my ferals. There are 3 Grace, Khloe & Chester. Grace is 1.5 years old, Khloe is 8 months and Chester is 6 - it is his first winter.

It was 20 last night, burrr

They have free feeding of dry food, wet food AM and PM, fresh water. They are in the barn which is good shelter, I have a horse stall set up for them full of old horse blankets and kitty beds. So, if it is 20 outside it is 27-30 in the barn. I worry about Khloe and Chester since it is their first cold weather.

Should I include anything else for their comfort? Grace is the mom and she is doing a great job in keeping the kids in the barn out of the elements. But I know they have got to be chilly! Since they are in a barn with other animals I cannot use any type of heat beds, anything including electric. But, am I doing the right thing or should I be sheltering them more somehow?

At least they are not outside in the cold. I have no intentions of catching any of them, the barn is their home and they know it. They will sit in the corner of the stall when I go into feed them, I don't bother trying to make friends with them, they want to eat and I want them to eat.

I seriously love them and worry about them!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They arent cheap, but snugglesafe 'pucks'are great for keeping them warm, you heat them in the microwave and they stay warm overnight (8 hours ish but they often are still warm after 12 hours). They are small so wont interfere with any of the other animals

But other than that, they would be outside with nowhere warm if it wasnt for you so it sounds fine

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds fine, actually. But straw itself is a great insulator, and is what is usually used inside shelters made for ferals. Some boxes with straw loosely stuffed make great "warmers" for the kitties.