How Have You Decluttered Lately?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I !!finally!! had a chance to organize my sewing and yarn materials with a new basket and a large empty cigar box I picked up for nearly free :bunnydance:

I tried to sell an unopened pair of flourescent shop lights a few weeks ago but although there initially was a buyer it fell through so I'll have to re-post that, (--Nextdoor is a bit more comfortable for me than some of the other sites).

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I restacked my puzzles in the closet-forgotten some of the ones I bought last summer.
I also chucked some clothes that were stuffed in the back..and some other stuff I no longer need.

The big project is the office...last night I envisioned even a twin size bed in there....so yes I boxed up the oil lamps I was going to save for power outages but now I don't want them.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Relocating is the only way to declutter for me... That's what I did when I moved to this place 5 years ago.
I donated half of my kitchenware and furniture to a thrift shop.
I kept all my books and the bookshelf, but the books are still in boxes and the shelf is not yet assembled. Sigh...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's an on-going battle in our house since my DH is a collector. I'd love to downsize and toss most of the "stuff" he's collected but he doesn't see it as clutter. :rolleyes:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been working on my family tree since the late 70’s and have accumulated several large boxes of papers and notes. I went through most of the boxes and threw away a full wastebasket of useless papers.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my stuff and I am naturally disorganized. Our house is clean, but no one would say that it is tidy. I am okay with that because I do not like houses that do not feel lived in. (No one could call it dirty, either! There is a big difference between disorganized and dirty/messy!

I do, however, go through everything every couple of months and see what is worn out, not used, not purposeful, or we just no longer like. If I cannot repurpose, I donate to Goodwill, give away, or, occasionally, sell.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've halfway cleaned out my closet, but can't take anything to Goodwill yet until I pack up the breakables. I plan on cleaning out the pantry tomorrow. It's been several years since I went through it due to my surgeries, so while I'm stuck in the house tomorrow with our -15F forecast, I'm going to clean it out.

My Dad was a collector too. His stamp collection was huge, and I sold a part of it to an auction house and put my son through a semester of college with the proceeds. A lot of the rest I sold on eBay, which gave me about $500 a month for half a year. He started collecting about 1915, so a lot of those stamps were valuable. Come to think of it, he sold some of it, too, and put me through college for a year on it. That's the thing about collections, if you hold on to them long enough, they really do become valuable.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been decluttering in the kitchen. Why I had so many sizes and types of colanders, I don't know! :eek2: I've still got to go through two utensil drawers that are full of junk, and two 'junk' drawers that are even worse. :paperbag: :lol:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate clutter. It drives me crazy when I try to find something and have to filter through all the crap just to find what I'm looking for.
Therefore, I am always either donating or throwing stuff out. I have a dumpster that gets picked up 2x's a month and it's always full.
I am like an anti-hoarder. Except for electronics. I have a box with things like old hard drives, DVD drives, memory cards and cables that I just can't seem to let go of.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I found an old picture that my husband had found and saved for the frame. I found a frame that has never been used. A few days ago I cleaned out some shelves in the kitchen and found several containers that I no longer use. I found a large thermos that hasn't been used in years. All that and some other things are going to the thrift store run by my shelter on Sat. when I go up there.

I love Marie Kondo. I don't have Netflix but a friend does so I am going to ask him if we can binge watch her show together. I have gotten him into the donate mode so he will agree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I save all the manuals and receipts for things we buy. I have WAY too much now. I started going through them all yesterday weeding out what we no longer have and what we don’t need.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been decluttering in the kitchen. Why I had so many sizes and types of colanders, I don't know! :eek2: I've still got to go through two utensil drawers that are full of junk, and two 'junk' drawers that are even worse. :paperbag: :lol:
I learned a lesson after doing two full kitchen remodels, where most of the kitchen stuff was boxed up for months. After the first I threw so much stuff out - and regretted it later when I no longer had something I rarely used but needed.

After completing the second remodel, I left questionable items boxed with a “Use by —- date or Toss” written on the outside. I did find myself pulling a few things out but was much more comfortable about tossing the rest.

So maybe you need all those collanders, maybe you can set a few aside in a Use or Toss bin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There's going to be an Electronics recycling drop off for the next three weekends fairly close to me so I've been starting to gather some stuff up. :)