How Effective Is The Fvrcp Vaccine?

catmom1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I have 3 cats that are fully vaccinated. Their ages are 1/3/6. I took in what I thought was healthy foster kitten two weeks ago. He got sick a few days after I got him and I just got test results back that he is positive for both the herpes virus and calicivirus. Despite separately them in the house, my 1-year-old has been really sick, my 3-year-old a little sick and my 6-year-old with little symptoms (this is also the order I think they were exposed - so it may get worse for the last two). The 1-year old was diagnosed with a fever and enlarged tonsils/throat issues. He has horrible coughing fits that are just painful. The 3-year-old has a more mild case. I fear they all have fevers.

I'm guilt-ridden. My babies were healthy and my actions made them sick - maybe in a way that will be chronic. But why aren't their vaccinations working? My 1-year-old had the 3 series of FVRCP as a kitten and then another booster. He shouldn't be this sick. (The kitten also had the FVRCP vaccine - but only two weeks before he got sick). I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The panleuk part of the vaccine is extremely effective, and that's the most important part (panleuk is usually deadly). But, unfortunately, herpes has a zillion different strains so the vaccine can't prevent all of them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vaccinations reduce the chance of contracting a virus, but don't prevent them from happening altogether. Further, those with calcivirus and/or herpes are prone to secondary infections and that might be what has been passed on to the other cats.

The younger they are the harder these infections are on a cat, so what you are describing in terms of the 1 year old being the sickest, the 3 year old less so, and the 6 year old with limited symptoms makes sense.

Antibiotics are typically prescribed to help treat/prevent any secondary infections that might occur with calcivirus and/or herpes. Are your cats on antibiotics? All symptoms should be treated as well, so if you think they have fevers you need to talk to the vet about what would be appropriate to help reduce their fever.

I hope you have a treatment plan in place from the vet; it is pretty likely your cats will recover within a couple of weeks - particularly if all the symptoms are being treated. After that, they do need to make sure they have boosters every 1 - 3 years, depending on what your vet advises.