How early can you spay/neuter the kittens?

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My four kittens are almost 2 weeks old and all have forever homes which they will go to when they are 12 weeks old.

Since mom was a stray, she also needs to be spayed. I originally planned to take the whole group to ABC at 10-12 weeks and have them all spayed/neutered so that the kittens would be fixed BEFORE going to their new homes. But I've been reading some info on the internet and learned that many vets do not recommend spaying before 4 months of age.

The homes they are going to are good/responsible homes, but I would still feel better if I had them fixed before releasing them, just in case. But I don't want to do anything risky. What do you guys think?

(keeping the kittens til they're 16 weeks is not an option for a variety of reasons)

Also, ABC (Animal Birth Control) will spay/neuter as early as 8 weeks, but every other vet I have called insists on waiting until 16 weeks at the earliest.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally the soonest is 2 months or 2 lbs. Yes, most vets prefer to wait but if you don't have the time to wait it is safe to do it sooner. I think your idea of taking them all in when the kittens are 10-12 weeks is just fine. They should all be at least 2 lbs. by that time. Also, I think you are VERY smart to speuter them all BEFORE adoption.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cut and paste from http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

There are also links to free and low cost nueters listed by state.

<b>Early-age spay/neuter</b>
Some people delay spay/neuter for their pet because they've heard the animal must be six months or older. Although many older veterinarians were taught that, a number of studies show that cats and dogs as young as eight weeks have no problems later in life due to early- age spay/neuter. Plus, young kittens bounce back faster from the procedures than older kittens or cats. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) endorses early-age spay and neuter.

Due to traditions in some vet schools, some veterinarians are not familiar with the procedure or have no experience performing the surgery on younger kittens. Also, the procedure requires the safer and more expensive inhalant anesthetics such as isoflorane.

See the Alley Cat Allies fact sheet about the benefits of early-age spay/neuter. For veterinarians and others involved with spay/neuter programs, the American Humane Association (Englewood, CO 800-227-4645 or 303-792-9900) has a 30-page brochure and accompanying video for $14 about early-age spay/neuter, titled "The Case for Early Neutering" by veterinarians Alicia Faggella, Patricia Olson, and Mark Bloomberg, which has been endorsed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, among others.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet is comfortable at spaying/neutering at 2 months old, then have it done. Kittens have to weigh 2 lbs (I think) at 8 weeks. If you schedule at 10-12 weeks old, that probably would be best.

Charlie was done at about 3 or 3 1/2 months old. IMO I would wait till 3 months. I'm not comfortable any earlier then that.

And THANK you for taking the time, money to have them done before they leave you