how does your cat wake you?

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, so, again, not so much an issue, but this is a minor annoyance and it only happens when we sleep in the living room. We've grown accustomed to Hecate waiting for us to wake up to start begging for breakfast, but Hades is a different story. He wakes us. He'll jump up on us, purring and nuzzling, and lick and chew on my fingers while kneading (weaned early?). We've come to the conclusion that this means he's hungry. Not starving, since we leave kibble out at night, but hungry. He wants his wet breakfast! How does your cat tell you s/he wants you to wake up and feed her/him? Is Hades just being pushy? I tell ya, if he was this forceful about nursing, I can't say I blame his mom for cutting him off early. He's all teeth and claws when he's nuzzling for food, (he doesn't bite hard, but kitten teeth are sharp). I've also caught him trying to nuzzle the carpet.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Paul kneeds my back or stomach, depending on what's accessible.  He's pretty good about it, though and only wakes me up if I've really slept late.  My old boy Wesley used to take one claw and dig it into my head, harder and harder until I woke up.  If I hid under the pillow, he'd squirm and push his way in and then would use The Claw again.  

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby is about 7 months old and she cries all night long and wakes us up. It is nerve racking. Any suggestions ?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie will literally either or all: JUMP on the bed, walk all over me, walk on top of me; or slowly creep up to my ear, do a MEOW, and tap me on the shoulder. If I do not get up, it is tap-tap-tap again and another meow....

Most of the time it is the tap, tap, tap, meow...in my ear!

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midi has a number of moves in his repertoire, it use to be walking on me, then it was getting up in my face and purring like mad. Sometimes a get a gentle paw on the nose but lately he starts giving me kisses on my face.  When all else fails I might get my butt bitten.

lindamc62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine don't. They keep me from getting up! When they hear me stirring, one or both will cuddle up and purr, which puts me back to sleep.

I don't feed my cats when I get up. I always eat my breakfast first, so they don't associate my waking with getting fed. I've had a lot of cats in my life, and only one woke me up at night. She was a "talker" and wanted attention, not food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Baby is about 7 months old and she cries all night long and wakes us up. It is nerve racking. Any suggestions ?
Honestly, on nights when we must sleep, we sleep in the bedroom, which is a cat-free zone. Hecate used to scratch at the door and whisper/hiss/cry, but now that Hades is here, she has someone to bother.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping to Robin I am woken up by a cat touching me with a paw, or knocking a picture over.
Seriously, if your cat wakes you up, feel blessed.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Try playing with her before bedtime, then follow with a light snack.  The trick is to tire her out.  You might also leave a bit of kibble out overnight in case she gets hungry.  

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zeke stands on my bedside table and chews on the headboard. We've tried spraying the part he chews on with a bitter spray, but it had no effect on him. He acted like it was flavoring! Tried wrapping it in foil, but he is undeterred. We get up at 5 a.m. during the week, so he starts his chewing thing around 4 a.m., or 4:30. Super annoying. Now when he starts, I lay with my arm blocking him. I refuse to get up before 5, so on the weekend I'll get up at 5 and feed him then go back to bed.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pushes the door open between 7 and 7:30 and says MEOW a few times. I usually wake up. If not she'll jump on the bed and walk around. I adopted Lexi last Feb at age 1.5 yrs, and she is very well behaved. Zero bad behaviors. I got lucky.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely have to wake Robin. He's like a 15 year old I have to convince to get out of bed most days. When he does want to wake me, it's gently. He will touch my face with his, or, at worst, clumsily walk over me in bed. "Oops, sorry mom. By the way, I'm hangry!!"